The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Automatic scaling--how (does) it work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
The drop-down menu for changing how much time is displayed in Gantt views offers:

Automatic
Minute
Hour
Day
Week
Month
Quarter
Year

What does the Automatic setting do? I don't see any change whatsoever. I was really hoping that when you clicked and dragged to zoom in on time granularity, it would switch from Days to Hours, but it seems to do nothing. What is its function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
What does the Automatic setting do? I don't see any change whatsoever.
OK, I see: it does provide collapsing/expanding of time display attributes--but only at the upper end. Year switches to Quarter switches to Month switches to Week switches to Week/Day--but that's it.

What we need is two more levels to include finer granularity: Day/Hour, and Hour/Quarter Hour.

Oh, and I suppose since post-singularity we'll all be immortal, should add a few more at the upper end: Decade/Year, Millennium/ Decade.

Feature request, please! Thanks.

I would also give just about anything to have a "Scale to fit Day" option.

One option I was unaware for a long time is that you can change the scale by dragging right and left on the headings for the Gantt chart. It's not too difficult to make it show a day for the whole width, though it seems you need a wide display or custom headings to be able to read them. Certainly an built-in option would be easier, I agree.

Quote:
I would also give just about anything to have a "Scale to fit Day" option.
Found my solution to this in a keyboard shortcut: Shift-Command-T. Doesn't always work, but it usually gets me in the general vicinity.

Quote:
Found my solution to this in a keyboard shortcut: Shift-Command-T. Doesn't always work, but it usually gets me in the general vicinity.
Playing around with it, I don't see how the Go To Today command would usually do anything like what I envision a Scale to fit Day command would do, except maybe by accident. Scale to fit Project makes the scale such that the entire project fits in the window. Scale to fit Selection makes the scale such that the entire selection fits in the window. I would think Scale to fit Day would scale the diagram such that one day fits in the window, but I am not sure I would want it to jump to today if I was somewhere else in the diagram.

Did I describe what you want, or something different? I'll admit that getting the chart to look just the way I want it is something that is often a struggle for me, so I probably don't understand something crucial yet. Maybe your next question will help unlock the puzzle for me :-)