The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

SOLVED: Mysteriously growing OmniFocus.ofocus file Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Toadling - I am seeing exactly the same behavior.

Syncing is working just fine. The .client files seem to be "flexible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by beharkey View Post
Toadling - I am seeing exactly the same behavior.
Thanks, beharkey. It's good to hear some confirmation. I just tried syncing some more items and everything seems to be running smoothly here as well.

-Dennis

I had the same issue.
I also solved it using the same method.

Hope there will be a automatic way later on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Yes, in the Finder, select iDisk in your sidebar and go to Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus, then right-click on the file and select the "Show Package Contents" option. This will open a new Finder window revealing the database file, all transaction files, and multiple .client files if you've been syncing.

I personally find it easier to view my database on my iDisk using Panic's Transmit, but Finder works fine too.

-Dennis
I no longer can find any .zip files or .client files on my iDisk.

After I go to the Finder and select iDisk in the sidebar and go to Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus I do not see an option for "Show Package Contents". My documents file on the idisk only contains the OmniFocus.ofocus file. How do I get to the "Show Package Contents" option? When I click on the OmniFocus.ofocus file, a Preview screen appears that has a button for "more info" but within "more info" there is not an option for "Show Package Contents". I am running 10.4.11 not 10.5 yet - does that make a difference?

What I have done twice so far to get my database size down to allow the app to open on my iPhone is delete the entire OmniFocus.ofocus from my iDisk and resynch it back from my Mac which brought it from 1.8MB down to 168k this time and then deleted the app from my phone and reloaded the app back to the phone from iTunes and copied the database from my Mac back onto my phone.

The first time I did this (about a week ago), I remember when I went into documents on my iDisk there were a bunch of .zip files (and maybe .client files too, I don't remember). I deleted both the OmniFocus.ofocus as well as all of the .zip and any other Omnifocus related files in documents. Since then, all I've seen in my iDisk is the OmniFocus.ofocus file. Thus today, all I deleted from my iDisk is the OmniFocus.ofocus file.

Although my delete and resynch of my iDisk and phone successfully reduced my database size and now enable me to open OF on my phone again, as they did the last time, I was hoping to find the .client files so I can delete any extra because my fix seems to make the database smaller but not keep it from growing unnecessarily again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt32 View Post
I no longer can find any .zip files or .client files on my iDisk.

After I go to the Finder and select iDisk in the sidebar and go to Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus I do not see an option for "Show Package Contents". My documents file on the idisk only contains the OmniFocus.ofocus file. How do I get to the "Show Package Contents" option? When I click on the OmniFocus.ofocus file, a Preview screen appears that has a button for "more info" but within "more info" there is not an option for "Show Package Contents". I am running 10.4.11 not 10.5 yet - does that make a difference?

What I have done twice so far to get my database size down to allow the app to open on my iPhone is delete the entire OmniFocus.ofocus from my iDisk and resynch it back from my Mac which brought it from 1.8MB down to 168k this time and then deleted the app from my phone and reloaded the app back to the phone from iTunes and copied the database from my Mac back onto my phone.

The first time I did this (about a week ago), I remember when I went into documents on my iDisk there were a bunch of .zip files (and maybe .client files too, I don't remember). I deleted both the OmniFocus.ofocus as well as all of the .zip and any other Omnifocus related files in documents. Since then, all I've seen in my iDisk is the OmniFocus.ofocus file. Thus today, all I deleted from my iDisk is the OmniFocus.ofocus file.

Although my delete and resynch of my iDisk and phone successfully reduced my database size and now enable me to open OF on my phone again, as they did the last time, I was hoping to find the .client files so I can delete any extra because my fix seems to make the database smaller but not keep it from growing unnecessarily again.
right click or ctrl+click the .ofocus file to get the show package contents.

Quote:
After I go to the Finder and select iDisk in the sidebar and go to Documents/OmniFocus.ofocus I do not see an option for "Show Package Contents"... I am running 10.4.11 not 10.5 yet - does that make a difference?
No, it shouldn't matter if you're running 10.4.x or 10.5.x. What you need to do is right-click or Control-click your OmniFocus.ofocus file. In the resulting contextual menu you'll see an option to "Show Package Contents". In the new window that opens, you should see one zip file that starts with a bunch of zeros. That's your root document, the core of your database. In addition to that, you might see a variety of zip files for any recent transactions. You will also likely see .client files for each client that syncs with your database.

Quote:
...I was hoping to find the .client files so I can delete any extra because my fix seems to make the database smaller but not keep it from growing unnecessarily again.
The first thing to do is make sure you're running the most recent sneakypeak build (Revision 103163 as of 7/22/08 3:18 PM Pacific). Once you're up-to-date, there should't be anymore reason to delete old .client files, at least until we hear more from the Omni support people.

I would strongly discourage anyone from going into the database package and deleting files willy-nilly unless you know exactly what you are doing or you're willing to accept the consequences of possible annihilation of the entire human civilization, and maybe some data loss too.

I suspect Lizard's advise was accurate a few days ago, but may not be anymore. With the latest build, at least on my machine (and beharkey's too, from the sound of it), all old zip transaction files and .client files are getting cleaned up by the app after a short delay of about an hour or so.

Summary:
  1. Update to the latest sneakypeak

2. Wait at least an hour before you do anything! Maybe take a screenshot of the file listing so it's easier to compare later.

3. If you start deleting things inside the database package, be sure to duck and cover.

Hope this helps. And everybody... let's be safe out there.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-07-22 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: Added link to handy video

If all your devices have the latest sneaky peek, this .client hack should be unnecessary. But if any of your devices are iPhones, they won't have this fix yet. So it may still resolve some issues. And Toadling is right that you should be careful.

mmmmm I just deleted my .client files, again because my file was growing. They are not back. So definitely be careful because it has caused a MobileMe sync conflict every time my iDisk syncs. I am going to start over since my file was small anyway.

Duck and cover is good advice. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
If all your devices have the latest sneaky peek, this .client hack should be unnecessary. But if any of your devices are iPhones, they won't have this fix yet. So it may still resolve some issues. And Toadling is right that you should be careful.
I hope the iPhone version is coming soon because my 30 action file is 280 KB after starting out at 20 KB this evening. My iPhone is blowing this thing up like a hot air ballon. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
My DB is up to 360 KB. Since I have an iPhone, do you have a suggestion to keep the size small until an update for the iPhone comes out?