The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

I need 'OUT' ! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Have you tried this in OmniFocus? I don't know if it works across users and their databases, but I can drag a task from OmniFocus on the Mac to an email, send it to my iPhone, and clicking on the link in the email on the iPhone opens the task in OmniFocus.
ohhhhhhh... thanks for this, Greg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Have you tried this in OmniFocus? I don't know if it works across users and their databases, but I can drag a task from OmniFocus on the Mac to an email, send it to my iPhone, and clicking on the link in the email on the iPhone opens the task in OmniFocus.
OMG, where have you been all my life, Greg? I never, ever realised this was possible... ! Thanks Pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
This would be huge if it could happen on the iPhone too. Hopefully the message contains information from the action in text form so that one could send an action to anyone and they could act on it whether or not they had OF.

J.
Yup! + SMS and MMS support. I'd love to be able to delegate dozens of actions by text such as 'clean the car' to my Old Lady and the Kids (who don't have the OmniFocus App). I imagine extensive use of this feature might even help me get the divorce and spare bedrooms I so desperately crave!

ASIDE: I can't wait to test out your script, JohnJ80. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting it.

I've just come across a To Do App, HoneyDo, whose raison d'être is the ability to delegate actions. I really think Omni is missing a sales trick here, because if it were possible to delegate tasks, I would certainly encourage other individuals (the wife and kids spring immediately to mind!) to purchase OmniFocus so I could offload actions to them.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-27 at 02:51 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Yup! + SMS and MMS support. I'd love to be able to delegate dozens of actions by text such as 'clean the car' to my Old Lady and the Kids (who don't have the OmniFocus App). I imagine extensive use of this feature might even help me get the divorce and spare bedrooms I so desperately crave!

ASIDE: I can't wait to test out your script, JohnJ80. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for posting it.
glad to help. let me know if it works for you.

I just bought this HoneyDo app from the app store. I think it has a lot of elements that make a lot of sense.

One thing that just came to mind, and would need some more idea development - if Omni were to put Tags support into OF *and* the ability to assign an email address to a tag, theoretically one could tag the action with those to whom it was delegated. Pressing a button would send the action to all as an email/sms/mms etc... Would be really interesting and helpful.

There is a big need for the ability to delegate a task and to get that task in written/electronic form to the person to whom it was delegated. That's a big issue for a lot of us that work in teams, in families, supervisory roles and other cooperative groups.

Another thing I noticed - many times we discuss issues and features like this and then they show up in other apps.... Hmmmm.

J.

I totally concur. I have my team in the GTD workflow to get our stuff done, and having a robust Sharing feature in OF would be ideal.

On a side note, the wife and I use Zenbe to share our lists and it works great. If we had the ability to share Tasks in OF I would be using it with her.

I know there is talk of better communication between Omniplan and OmniFocus, but I feel that this is a little overwhelming for teams who use OF exclusively.

Sharing. Delegation. Tracking. These are all features we need now in OF, and if someone stumbles upon this we will see GTD being used even more by collaborative teams.

Quote:
glad to help. let me know if it works for you.J.
It works fine, I'm truly grateful for your willingness to share it.

Quote:
I just bought this HoneyDo app from the app store. I think it has a lot of elements that make a lot of sense.J.
I agree. I'm not exaggerating when I say that most of my frustration in using OmniFocus is the lack of a way to share or delegate Actions, Projects, Contexts, etc.

Quote:
One thing that just came to mind, and would need some more idea development - if Omni were to put Tags support into OF *and* the ability to assign an email address to a tag, theoretically one could tag the action with those to whom it was delegated. Pressing a button would send the action to all as an email/sms/mms etc... Would be really interesting and helpful.J.
OK, that's one sexy concept! I alternate between wanting multiple contexts (which would halve my current list) or tags, preferably both! I'd also like OmniFocus to support contacts from the address book. It's maddening that even iCal doesn't support contacts, ie. you can't enter 'call John' with John being added from the address book, so that when the time came to call him it would just be a matter of clicking the link.

Quote:
There is a big need for the ability to delegate a task and to get that task in written/electronic form to the person to whom it was delegated. That's a big issue for a lot of us that work in teams, in families, supervisory roles and other cooperative groups.J.
Again, I agree. I've just opened a post on the OmniFocus Syncing forum re: push delegation (see this link).

Quote:
Another thing I noticed - many times we discuss issues and features like this and then they show up in other apps.... Hmmmm.J.
I thought I was imagining this, or it was coincidental, good to know other Members feel the same, and that I'm not just being paranoid!

Thanks again, JohnJ80.

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-28 at 05:14 AM..