The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Safari? Flock? Firefox? Omniweb? Oh My. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Thanks for all the tips and replies. Yes, I tried the zoomed text editor last night and it truly is wonderful. I found the spellcheck as well. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the RSS default reader and the inability to change it. But, like somebody posted, I can just drag a URL to endo's icon and it will gather the necessary info. Seriously, not a huge deal at all.

I have been using Omniweb for a day now and it really is marvelous. I mean that. There are a few things that I still have yet to work out for a better workflow, but wow what a beautiful product. I wasn't convinced until you guys started to show me a few things here and there, but now I am. It is so fast. I'm definitely going to buy it today.

Another thing I'd like to see though is the ability to change the icon without going into the bundle and changing the .icns by hand. I like the icon that comes with but there is a SuMa icon set with a globe which fits more along what I think a Mac icon should look like. :) Though the globe that it comes with is still very wonderful so I don't really mind that either at all.

I haven't yet found a site which doesn't work with Omniweb, but I have 5 other browsers if that should happen. So, for now, I think that Omniweb is definitely the best one around.

One other thing would be a great addition would be the ability to resize the thumbnails so that they are smaller in the shelf. I'm on a laptop and I have plenty of room for them and all, but I have so many tabs open on any given moment that showing only 6 icons on the shelf before I have to scroll isn't as great as if I could see around 15 or so. I know I can just make them into a list with the click of a button, but it would be nice if one could just make the thumbnails a little smaller. But that's about it, really....

Seriously, these are little nitpicks at best. I'm very happy with it. I was thinking of using it for several days more before buying it but I think that sometime today, I'm going to buy it because it's just that good.

If I think of anything else, as a new user, I'll post them up just for the benefit of the team, I guess, and for some input. It looks like there's a lot of great people here who communicate all the time and you guys seem to have a nice community which helps each other out a lot - that also makes me happy. When I buy a product like this, this is also what I look for. Great responsiveness. So kudos to the Omniweb team and I'm going to be a licensed user by the end of the day. :)

You can resize the drawer to make the thumbnails smaller (or larger). Drag the outermost edge to do so.

Also, granted you loose the actual thumbnail but you can switch to list view so only titles are displayed and you can fit a lot more tabs into the drawer.

Banagor, the greatest features of OW for me may not be so important for you, as you were using Safari (the "cookie monster") and didn't mention an ad blocker - for me it's the cookie engine that allows for cookies that have already been sent by the server, but rejected by OW, to be set to "accepted" _afterwards_ (I know no other browser that is able to do this), and the possibility to use regular expressions for ad blocking.

Well, I just bought it. :)

Proud new owner of Omniweb.

Ahhh... I feel like I'm settling into a new home.

Site specific preferences alone were enough to make me switch to OW, but Workspaces and thumbnail tabs sweetened the deal!

Steve W

I just purchased my license as well. The fact the OG made the effort to transition to Webkit in 5.5, which made OW so much faster, and their commitment to continued improvements of the browser were more than enough to seal the deal.

Thanks!

Also, granted you loose the actual thumbnail but you can switch to list view so only titles are displayed and you can fit a lot more tabs into the drawer.

Well, sure you could try to extend Safari/firefox to have half the functionality of OmniWeb (I've tried) but it slows them down HUGE and the UI becomes flat ugly and the menus on safari with saft, stand, and pithhelmet become so crowded it takes FOREVER to find anything. Omni is fast, treads lightly upon your system, and requires no custimization to kick butt.