The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gmail doesn't work - is it just me or ... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Today Gmail "doesn't work" for me anymore, instead of the normal AJAX enhanced pages I now get the plain HTML version and a note telling me that I should use a supported browser.

Is it just me or have Gmail made some changes? (it worked fine before lunch)

Not just you. Me too.

GMail decides what to show each browser so it's helpful to play around with various browser identities until one works. I've found that if I identify as Omniweb, I get a basic view. If I identify with Safari, I can't click on any messages to load them (shortcut keys work fine). The winner is the firefox identity. The only oddity I notice in checking mail with that identity is that the quick contacts (gtalk) panel at the side sticks out. Subtract it and it goes away.

i told omniweb to report itself as safari, which got me the proper pages, but then clicking an an email in order to read it didn't work (and it does in safari and webkit).

I tried with firefox and a lot of stuff that I haven't seen before turned up :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Today Gmail "doesn't work" for me anymore, instead of the normal AJAX enhanced pages I now get the plain HTML version and a note telling me that I should use a supported browser.

Is it just me or have Gmail made some changes? (it worked fine before lunch)
No, it's not you :-)
I think GMail folks changed something (about the browser sniffing). It happened yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I tried with firefox and a lot of stuff that I haven't seen before turned up :)
All the stuff that keeps me using Camino unfortunately. WebKit still isn't displaying this stuff quite right though, so it's not just OmniWeb.

There is a bug open in WebKit to fix this. http://bugzilla.opendarwin.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8439

It's fairly likely that you won't have to lie about your User-Agent for everything to show up once this bug is fixed.

Use the link http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser and you will be back in the standard Gmail interface.

It was explained in the link Google gave us at the top of the page - not exactly a wonderful way to spring it on us, but there you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachiwilson
Use the link http://mail.google.com/mail/?nocheckbrowser and you will be back in the standard Gmail interface.

It was explained in the link Google gave us at the top of the page - not exactly a wonderful way to spring it on us, but there you are.
I think you are misunderstanding the issue. The site loads, but you can't click on any emails. Even with your tip. None of the links actually work.

this seems to be fixed for me after removing my custom user agent string.

good job!