The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

omnifocus roadmap? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post

Whether it was wise of the Omniguys or not to publish a roadmap of future
ONE feature is all it takes, and even though I appreciate Ken Case's investment into the future with his move to create a suite of software for the iPad - and I agree with him when he says large touch screens are the future. If only this one feature of 'tagging' were to be added to OF, it would allow so many minds out there to finally be at rest.
This "ONE feature" is not as easy to implement as one may think. There will be future implications that must be considered before adding a major feature such as tagging..... The underlying database structure and engine must take into account the flexible world of tagging. A user interface must also be considered. Tagging is a complex beast to tame. If used sparingly, it is a great and powerful tool. But if abused, it can just lend more complication to any program and your GTD setup in particular.

This "ONE feature" has created monster threads with a lot of passion and emotions involved. I would rather have the Omni-folks take their time and get it done right than just dash out a tagging feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie1702 View Post
ONE feature is all it takes, and even though I appreciate Ken Case's investment into the future with his move to create a suite of software for the iPad - and I agree with him when he says large touch screens are the future. If only this one feature of 'tagging' were to be added to OF, it would allow so many minds out there to finally be at rest.
This "ONE feature" is not as easy to implement as one may think. There will be future implications that must be considered before adding a major feature such as tagging..... The underlying database structure and engine must take into account the flexible world of tagging. A user interface must also be considered. Tagging is a complex beast to tame. If used sparingly, it is a great and powerful tool. But if abused, it can just lend more complication to any program and your GTD setup in particular.

This "ONE feature" has created monster threads with a lot of passion and emotions involved. I would rather have the Omni-folks take their time and get it done right than just dash out a tagging feature.

Yes, I'm disappointed that I won't get to see OF 2.0 sooner. But I will use my current OF setup until whenever OF 2.0 comes out. My life goes on regardless of Omni's plans.

OF 1.x is also the most important tool in my daily life. But some others may find the other Omni programs as more important. For project managers, they might see OmniPlan as more essential because of the nature of their work. Or perhaps OmniOutliner is more crucial for writers.

We'll just have to wait in line for OF 2.0. Everybody will get served at the dining table eventually.

Hopefully, this iPad business hasn't delayed 1.8. We've been waiting for the sneaky peek for awhile now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Mark, I'm not Brian, although we have a similar silhouette from the neck down :-) Talking to him today at Macworld, I think it is safe to say that you might not like his answer: the company is trying to ship 5 new iPad applications this year (OmniFocus, OmniGraffle, OmniGraphSketcher, OmniOutliner, OmniPlan), and frankly, it was already a pretty aggressive plan to get OmniFocus 2 out the door this year (along with the other planned Mac software releases) before that plan came along... there's also a 1.8 OmniFocus release (which won't have any multi-user features, so far as I know) due to hit the streets soon.

I'm disappointed in some ways, because Ken told me about some very interesting work they've done for linking OmniPlan and OmniFocus in the 2.x releases of both products, but I think trying to be ready with great apps for the iPad early on is the right move for Omni, and in the long run, for us, too. Undoubtedly some potential (and current) customers will be lost because they simply can't wait any longer for either a product or a definite date, but as the old saying goes, you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs...
Many thanks...

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Hopefully, this iPad business hasn't delayed 1.8. We've been waiting for the sneaky peek for awhile now.
Indeed, the extent to which OmniFocus for the Mac remains regularly updated will be a measure of Omni Group's appreciation of its existing customer base. And, as I'm sure they know, such attitudes are always mutual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonng View Post
The linked article has this to say about pricing:

"Case anticipates the cost of the iPad apps to be within 40 percent of the Mac software's pricing."

Am I really tired or is that not entirely clear? (Either is possible right now.) Do they mean ABOUT 40 percent of the Mac software price (which for OF would be ~ $32) or do they really mean WITHIN 40 percent (which would put it in the 60% range, or ~ $48)?

In either case, it sounds a little high for, as the article says, "just...a resized iPhone app" at launch. I'll pay $30 or $40 for a Mac-like layout with projects in the left pane and actions in the right, but if all it's doing at launch is correctly sizing various interface elements for portrait and landscape orientation on a larger screen, I'll wait for the iPad-specific features, thanks.

But I'll buy OmniGraffle as soon as it's available. :)

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverobeson View Post
The linked article has this to say about pricing:

"Case anticipates the cost of the iPad apps to be within 40 percent of the Mac software's pricing."

Am I really tired or is that not entirely clear? (Either is possible right now.) Do they mean ABOUT 40 percent of the Mac software price (which for OF would be ~ $32) or do they really mean WITHIN 40 percent (which would put it in the 60% range, or ~ $48)?

In either case, it sounds a little high for, as the article says, "just...a resized iPhone app" at launch. I'll pay $30 or $40 for a Mac-like layout with projects in the left pane and actions in the right, but if all it's doing at launch is correctly sizing various interface elements for portrait and landscape orientation on a larger screen, I'll wait for the iPad-specific features, thanks.
You weren't the only one left wondering about the accuracy of that remark! My hope is that the resulting product is so cool that we're happy to pay whatever the price is :-)

My expectation, based on nothing more than what I've observed Omni doing with existing products, is that while the price might seem a bit high for the very first release, substantial new features will be delivered without requesting additional payment. I'm guessing that the end of year version that is clearly a true iPad app instead of the current iPhone app in a bigger form factor is going to be covered by that initial purchase.

OmniGroup: Please remember OmniFocus for the Mac is still the cornerstone of all the sidekicks (iPhone iPad and so forth).

I'd love to see 1.8 rather sooner than later. Improving iCal integration is a key issue for me. e.g. the iPhone app allows updates to the WebDAV-Server (for the Due Soon.ics) but the MAC version does not. WTF? This is one essential feature to be added in 1.8.

Last edited by FatalError; 2010-02-16 at 10:58 PM..