The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help with Perspective Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'd like to create a perspective that shows me all actions that "start today" but grouped by context. When i try and do it by selecting context under the grouping drop down, it groups my actions by context, but it shows ever action and just what starts today. My sorting drop down is set to Start and my availability filter drop down is set to remaining. If i change availability filter to available, it still shows me actions that do not start today.

If its not possible to do what i'd like, is there a work around someone could recommend?

Thank you

I think the best you can do is a context mode perspective that groups by start (with all groups except "Start Today" closed) and sorts by context, and make sure you have the Context column displayed. Save with the Restore: Expansion box checked so it remembers to put the groups as they were.

thats not a bad work around on the mac...i wish the grouping was by context though (as oppose to when the action starts) so when i sync the perspective to my iPad, it would be grouped by context. instead the iPad groups it by start date. and since i can't see what context each action is, i can't see it on the iPad the way i do the mac. thank you though

anyone else have any ideas?

Well, you wanted start today. The perspective gives you that — just scroll to today's date. You can collapse all of the others if you don't want to see them, using the triangle at the top right of each group. They will be sorted by context even though the context isn't displayed. If you are unsure of which context an action is assigned, you tap on it and look. It's not a perfect solution, just the best one available in most cases :-)

You get two axes, if you will, on which to hang your data. If you want to hide some of it, you have to group by the characteristic which will let you separate out the data you don't want. That leaves sorting for the other characteristic. You can group by context, but then you'll get all start dates in your display with no way of hiding the other dates — you probably have more data with different start dates than you have contexts. Adding to the challenge is a design decision to put actions with no start date at the top of the list, though if you put start dates on everything, and start (and complete) actions when they first start, this may not be a problem, in which case group by context and sort by start date will work okay, especially if you are displaying available actions (which will hide anything that has yet to start).