The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Groupings for Allen's levels Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello!

You know Allen's six levels for reviewing your work (Life, 3-5 years, 1-2 years,...). I think it's very helpful to write down also long term goals. But how to manage and separate them efficiently in Focus?

One sollution would be to use the due date. The problem is that when reviewing all long lasting projects are grouped to the same group - the "More than a year from now". A simple sollution to improve this would be to add more levels. Have groups for 1-2 years and 3-5 years. What do you think about this?

Folders make great groupings.

If there were a way to add a note to a folder, would that be enough?

I don't think of Allen's grouping as sets of deadlines but as overlapping perspectives. So the levels are things to accomplish in a lifetime, in the next 5 years, in the next year, etc. The longer term goals include the shorter term ones. For example, I have a longer term goal of becoming a proficient woodworker. My 1 year goals include building a garden shed so that I can claim some garage space for a workshop. So, I'm working on that longer term goal already.

I currently maintain separate goal documents in OmniOutliner. I have an outline for 5 year goals, 1 year goals, and monthly goals. I review the 5 year goals twice a year. Some of the 5 year goals, and all of my 1 year goals have corresponding folders or projects in OmniFocus. I use the flagging feature of OF to flag the projects that correspond to monthly goals.

To me, the structure of OmniFocus is too rigid for brainstorming and planning longer term goals. I like some structure though, so OO has been a good fit.

Curt

I use the long term objectives. Last night I tried creating a folder an in it, I created projects that have the long term project or goals description as a note. Since there are no actions assigned, I think it does not disturb any of my views. Perhaps not ideal, but doable. Am i missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinchohs View Post
I use the long term objectives. Last night I tried creating a folder an in it, I created projects that have the long term project or goals description as a note. Since there are no actions assigned, I think it does not disturb any of my views. Perhaps not ideal, but doable. Am i missing something?
No, that seems to be a neat way of keeping long-term objectives in OmniFocus. You can set the review interval to whatever seems reasonable.

If you wanted to keep them out of sight when you're doing your normal planning, you could mark the folder inactive, or put these projects on hold, so that they appeared only when you wanted to see them. But collapsing the folder would serve nearly the same purpose.

Yeap... these are great ideas! I'll give it a try. Take care. Martin.

Can someone please please please

post screenshots...