The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraphSketcher > OmniGraphSketcher General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

list of requested features for scientists/engineers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
It seems to me that OmniGraphSketcher has its heart in the right place right now. It is not, nor should it be, a data processing engine. For that, you have Matlab, Mathematica, SPSS, Python, or even Excel. OGS is fantastic for taking the output of those programs and making it look awesome; bloating the application and cluttering the interface with complex statistics abilities removes the simplicity that is part of what makes it so useful now. The team has many better things to work on than adding data processing that plenty of other, less pretty, applications already do quite well.

That said, I eagerly await exhaustive AppleScript support so I can automate plotting from within Matlab or Python. How cool would an OGS/AS-enabled replacement for plot() be? Also, as dpo said, adding LaTeX formatting to labels (and the legends I assume are coming), or at least PDF paste (or--dare I hope?--Linkback support to LaTeXiT) is pretty crucial for engineers to make effective plots.

I don't care much for supporting captions or citations, as neither is properly part of the graph. Your layout engine (LaTeX, Word, InDesign, whatever) provides both captions and citations; OGS need not, on the principle of keeping the application focused. If you want a caption for a completely standalone graph, you can position a label below the axes.