The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Singleton, What is it and How do you usse it Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I was a few versions behind as the auto update kept hanging and I couldn't find the link to the web page to download the latest.

In reading the notes it talks about a singleton project.

I can't seem to create one in the preferances, it only shows none and no way to pick another.

Could someone explain this.

Thanks

--Richard S Albrecht--

First, create and name a new project, and use the project inspector to set it to "contains singleton actions". Then go into preferences, and you should see it in the drop down.

It's a very Microsoftish implementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady View Post
It's a very Microsoftish implementation.
Ouch!

Man, that was below the belt.

BZ

OK,

Now how do you use them?

Rich

You put something in the singleton project when it's not part of a project.

Like "Backup laptop" It's not a project. There really is only one step (because I've set up the system already, so it involves clicking a button). I could artificially expand it into a project, or I could call it part of a "computer maintenance" project, but I don't really feel the need to do that right now. I don't like adding complexity unless I need it.

So, enter it. Assign it to the "Work>Singleton" project that I already made. Eventually, all the "Work>Singleton" actions will show up when I'm focussed on "Work" and only viewing "Next Actions." (Right now they show up when viewing "Available").

I think of projects as things that can be actually completed, which is why I don't want a "computer maintenance" project. But if the singleton implementation remains the way it is, I might make goal-oriented groupings (like "Computer maintenance", "Administrative tasks", "Research ideas", etc). That's probably bad GTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcode View Post
OK,

Now how do you use them?

Rich
After you've selected a 'default' singleton project, it should automatically drop anything you don't give a project into that bucket.

bleh.