The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How do you handle task slippage? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
My task system is more or less to just use Due Dates for everything that needs to get done. I push some of those dates out for things that don't need to be done immediately. At the beginning of each day, I have a list of things that I want to work on today. If I don't get to them, I select them all, then push the due date out a day. While this sort of works, it does remove the capability to store hard due dates since I'm constantly moving them around.

I know folks would probably say this workflow may be better implemented with start dates, moving them backward if a task doesn't get done. In my old GTD app, iGTD, I could easily advance both the start and due dates by +1 day. In Omnifocus, if I have a view of all the tasks that I have set up to start today, and I want to move, say, 20 of them out a day, some of the start dates risk getting moved beyond the due date.

Are others using OmniFocus like this? I realize it's not the GTD way, but its the one that works best for me right now. How do you manage large lists of tasks in a given context and what do you do when you can't get to them? Do you just keep them at the same date and just work on the oldest start dates in order?

Maybe I'm getting around to really needing a good prioritization system to help me evaluate what tasks need work on first.