The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sync perspectives/toolbars between computers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This might already be in the forum...I couldn't find it with search (which may reflect on my ability to write decent search terms).

I would like to be able to sync my perspectives, preferences, and toolbar views between machines...without having to manually perform these functions. Is this possible? If so...Help!

Thanks

Perspectives are kept in sync, as are some (but not all) of the preferences. (Note that the iOS apps can't display perspectives based on project mode yet; they are synced, they just won't show up in the iOS apps.)

If there are specific preferences you'd like to see included, let us know which ones and we can write up feature requests. I don't believe toolbars are synced; I'll make sure that gets filed - thanks!

Thanks for the reply Brian.

I don't think I was clear in my initial post. I'm trying to sync between two Macs...my iMac and my MacBook Air. I'm 'happy' with the iOS sync behavior (always looking for new features LOL).

When I open up a given Mac, it 'remembers' my preferences, how my Toolbar is configured, etc. Is there some way to place the file for these preferences so that when I close OF on my MacBook Air (after making changes to the toolbar, etc) and then later reopen OF on my iMac...that the view and interface will be identical without my having to 'fix' things. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated to sync a preference file along with the database so that all my OF iterations look identical.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwhistler View Post
I don't think I was clear in my initial post. I'm trying to sync between two Macs...my iMac and my MacBook Air.
Brian was just giving you a somewhat more general answer regarding perspective sync. We do see people tripped up occasionally by the expectation that all perspectives will sync to their iOS devices (they do, but the project-based ones aren't displayed). Someone who goes from syncing two Macs (where the project-based ones are displayed) to having an iOS client in the mix might be a little more likely to be surprised by this.
Quote:
When I open up a given Mac, it 'remembers' my preferences, how my Toolbar is configured, etc. Is there some way to place the file for these preferences so that when I close OF on my MacBook Air (after making changes to the toolbar, etc) and then later reopen OF on my iMac...that the view and interface will be identical without my having to 'fix' things. It doesn't seem like it should be that complicated to sync a preference file along with the database so that all my OF iterations look identical.
It's a little bit tricky, because while one probably wants the same settings for keyboard shortcuts and that sort of thing, it isn't necessarily the case that one would want identical toolbars on different machines. A full-screen window on my 27" iMac has a lot more room for toolbar buttons than our 11" MacBook Air offers. And, there's some data stored in the preferences file that only applies to that client regarding syncing. MobileMe offers support for syncing preferences between machines, but it isn't going to be with us much longer. Here's a post of Ken's that describes which preferences MobileMe is told not to sync:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showpost...02&postcount=6

When I make a configuration change to the toolbar that I'm likely to want on another client, I just add an action to OmniFocus to remind me to do the same thing on the other machine. Most of my toolbar changes are adding or removing buttons for scripts, and I need to install the script as well, so this works acceptably for me. If you are only tweaking the arrangement of built-in buttons between two machines where you use comparable window sizes, it would of course be nice to have the ability to make the changes automatically appear everywhere. On the other hand, OmniFocus is already an imposing challenge to conquer even with the "limited" set of options currently on offer — just think of how much more fun a set of options to control the exact set of options synced to different devices might add :-)

Quote:
Brian was just giving you a somewhat more general answer regarding perspective sync.
Brian is always awesome...and has regularly saved me much pain. I just wasn't sure whether my initial post was clear. I'm often guilty of talking quite a bit and not really saying much.

Quote:
It's a little bit tricky, because while one probably wants the same settings for keyboard shortcuts and that sort of thing, it isn't necessarily the case that one would want identical toolbars on different machines. A full-screen window on my 27" iMac has a lot more room for toolbar buttons than our 11" MacBook Air offers.
Good point...I hadn't really thought of that. I like your idea of making an OF action to change the other machines configuration...and then I can tweak it as needed secondary to screen size.

Quote:
And, there's some data stored in the preferences file that only applies to that client regarding syncing
Also an important point I wasn't aware of...and extremely important regarding this thread.

I'll stick to your method of keeping my different Macs OF configurations similar.

Thanks...Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwhistler View Post
Brian is always awesome...and has regularly saved me much pain. I just wasn't sure whether my initial post was clear. I'm often guilty of talking quite a bit and not really saying much.
Heh, thanks for the kind words. You're gonna make me blush. :-)

Your post was totally clear - when I answer, I try to think how folks who read the thread a year or more later may be confused and try to head that off at the pass. Thus the iOS stuff. Doesn't always succeed, but I try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Perspectives are kept in sync, as are some (but not all) of the preferences. (Note that the iOS apps can't display perspectives based on project mode yet; they are synced, they just won't show up in the iOS apps.)

If there are specific preferences you'd like to see included, let us know which ones and we can write up feature requests. I don't believe toolbars are synced; I'll make sure that gets filed - thanks!
I was just searching for this answer! Thanks, Brian. :)