The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

undo redo records in omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi there,

I am new to Omnifocus. One feature I miss (or rather, haven't been able to find it yet) is the ability to see the most recent changes I have made. Sometimes, I make some changes (let us say, 4 of them) and want to undo 2 of them.

1. When I hit Cmd-Z, it undoes some change, but I have not idea what did it undo.
2. Then, if I happen to hit Cmd-Z one too many times, then I want to hit Cmd-Shift-Z to redo, but I have no idea what did the program redo.

Is there a way to know the recent history of changes, so I don't end up undoing crucial changes.

Thanks,
~yogi

No convenient way that I've seen. You can look at the Edit menu to see what Undo is going to undo, in broad terms, and you can make a perspective that shows actions in order of their most recent changes. If you're really determined, it is possible to examine the changes in the database transaction history.

Hi whpalmer4, yes, I have been using a perspective in which I sort by Changed field. Where is the Omnifocus database stored? May be I will look into it. Thanks for your quick reply, ~yogi

The local copy of the database is kept in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus, which is a package file. Inside you'll find a bunch of zip files, 1 of which contains the compacted database (0000...), a number of which contain client descriptions, and the rest are recent transactions which haven't been compacted into the database yet. The recent transactions are linked together in chains through their file names. You can view one of these files in the Terminal via
Code:
unzip -p <filename> | xmllint -format -
once you have connected to the directory via

Code:
cd "$HOME/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus"
Let the learning adventure begin :-)

Hi whpalmer4, thanks for initiating me with starting commands. I just wrote a python program to extract all tasks and their modified date from 0000... file. Thanks again for your time and help. ~yogi