The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Having issues getting Contexts to work? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Try this:

1. At the OmniFocus home screen, click the New Item button to add an item to the inbox.
2. At the New Inbox Item screen, type the title
3. Touch "context" and choose a context (say, Errands)
4. Touch Save to return to the OmniFocus home screen.
5. Click the Contexts folder to open it.
6. Click Errands to open it.

Shouldn't the new item I just added be listed in Errands? Wait...I just discovered that it does show up if I also assign the item to a Project. But I don't want to do that. Does every item have to be assigned to a project?

I have the same problems. I've spent hours trying to figure this out. Items with contexts in my inbox *sometimes* appear in the proper context lists and sometimes do not. It's very frustrating. Can anyone help?

Same issue here. I have a couple of @errand tasks that are assigned to a project, but they don't show up in the @errands context on the iPhone. They do show up in the errands context on the desktop. I have contexts set to show remaining and these tasks have a due date of today and no start date. The odd thing is that when I tap contexts, it will say "4 available; 2 overdue", but when I tap it, I only see two undated tasks and not the two that are due today.

Also, the dated tasks will show up in the locations view. I am thinking there is a bug here somewhere. I can't see any logic to this behavior. Some tasks show up and others don't.

I'm having the same sort of problem with the contexts not showing up. And sometimes when I'm trying to change things around in contexts section, it has completely locked up the iPhone including the touch screen. I'm forced to do a "hard reset" on the iPhone just to gain back control. This seems more like beta at the moment.

I too can duplicate this behavior.

However, it will show up in the proper context if you assign it a project, though. This behavior appears to follow to the desktop when synced without a project.

Sorry, yes, the current default behavior is that things only move out of the inbox if you assign them to a project. If you're synchronizing with a Mac, you can change that default to move items out of the inbox if you've assigned either a project or a context (and the phone will honor that Mac setting), but unfortunately there's no way at the moment to edit that setting directly on the phone itself.

Obviously, this isn't ideal. I think there's a good argument to be made that the "requires either a project or a context" behavior should be the default rather than "requires a project". I'll talk it over with folks here, and we'll see what we can do to improve this in a future update.

We've changed the default behavior to move items out of the inbox when they're assigned to either a project or a context, rather than requiring a project. (This change will appear on the phone in v1.0.1, and on the desktop in revision 102828 or later.)

Hi Ken,

I just downloaded the trial from your website (102601) and am having this same issue. Is the newer version you're referencing only available when if I purchase a license?

Thanks,

Brett

Brett, you can download the latest version by selecting "Check for Updates" from the "OmniFocus" menu, or by going directly to the sneaky peek download page.