The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I want to write a simple paper on my iPad using Omnioutliner and Pages Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to create an outline in OmniOutliner. A very basic outline with the top level being major headers and themes, and lower levels being opening sentences of paragraphs with some supporting sentences. Just as I was taught in grade school. No footnotes, charts, embedded documents, etc.

Then I want to write the paper in Pages on my iPad. I spend more than 95% of my time on my iPad and rarely open my MBP.

I have OmniPresence and iCloud, along with a MacBook Pro with MS Word and Pages on it.

I realize I can transfer the OO outline to Pages on my iPad directly as plain text but it ends up with dashes in front of every line.

Or I can open the outline in OO on my MBP and export it to MS Word (HTML) and save it. Then open it in MS Word. Then save it as a .docx document. Then open it in Pages on my MBP and save it to iCloud as a Pages document. Then open it on my iPad. The indenting is gone but each sentence is present without extraneous characters or formatting.

Is there not a simpler way to do the most basic thing for which an outlining program is meant to do?

One would think that OO could export to pages or word format and "Open in..." A word processing app in a meaningful way. But it doesn't work, at least in a way that I've found.

However there is an app on the App Store that makes for an intermediate step but works. Search for MakeDoc in the App Store. It's an iPad app that pretty much does what you want to do. You export to MakeDoc in opml format. It interprets the styles and gives you a document that you can then "Open in" Pages. It's not the perfect solution because of the vagaries of opml and Pages but it works ok.

J.