The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tony Robbins RPM/TOYL methodology with OmniFocus? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
can work well together

Last edited by howardtnyc; 2011-01-25 at 04:25 AM..

HI Howard, I'd love to know what you’re doing in this regard. I went through TOYL a few years ago and enjoyed it but could never really implement it. Then transitioned to GTD and love it but in the back of my head I keep thinking about the RPM method. At this point I'm not doing much integrating between the two other than I view GTD Areas of Focus as synonymous with RPM’s Categories of Improvement (for the most part).

At this point I'm really focusing on trying to get very good at GTD processing so I don’t want to do anything to dilute what I'm doing there, but I also think Tony has a lot of good work in TOYL.

I’m a fan of Tony’s work. Have been to UPW (which I highly recommend), done some coaching, and have a lot of his materials. Good stuff.

hi rmathes,
Yes, I think the categories and the areas of focus are the same thing. At another time I could be more specific or maybe provide some screen shots but in short, the key thing at the heart of TR is really two things:
1) creating a life plan, year plan, and quarterly plan in the form of goals for each time period...
and
2) grouping your tasks into blocks and for each block defining not just the tasks (the MAP) but also the purpose and the result you are seeking for the block. {not trying to give an explanation to the uninitiated, sounds like you are familiar}

So after messing around with it for a while, here is what I did.

-made personal and professional into folders
-in each folder, created a project for each area of focus/category
-I then use the notes field for the category (project) to hold the overall category purpose and outcome (and might move roles, resources, and three to thrive etc in there as well in the future)
-then under that I create a series of nested groups for quarterly goals/each quarter and annual goals and then "This week's goals (activities)"
-and this is key-- for each group I define an acronym which I put in parenthesis after it -- for example my current tasks uses (TWG) in the name.
-So now, what I can do is view my projects and if I want to review everything for each category-- the vision, purpose, roles, etc as well as the 1 year plan, the quartelry plans and teh current actions..then great, thats how its structured.
-If I want to just view my current activities, what I do is put (TWG) into the search bar ( adn I created a perspective for this)-- this effectively filters out all the annual goals, quarterly goals, etc...so I just see the cateogry name, the header "This weeks Goals (TWG)"
-what is also cool is that i can use the keyboard shortcut to show/hide notes, this way if I want to get the "juice" of seeing the vision/outcome and purpose for each category above the actual tasks...then I can see that, but if I jsut want to look at tasks, I just hit the keyboard shortcut commmand, option apostrophe, and I only see the actual tasks (grouped by project/focus area).
-Now one personal twist that I do on TOYL...when creating RPM blocks, what I actually find is that some tasks really just align with the overall vision and purpose of one of my categories. For these I dont need to add additional Vision/purpose info for that RPM block b/c its already in its category and it woudl just be a repition. In other cases, I might have a narrower RPM block that I want to define a more specific vision/purpose for. When that happens what I simply do is create the RPM block as a nesd group and then, again, use the note area for for the group of the RPM block to include the vision/results and the purpose (and of course the list of tasks below is the MAP). This all works pretty well. You dont see the R/P/M in a left to right format as TR teaches, but other than that it works.
PLUS, you can then layer in contexts, which are not part of RPM but are also very helpful. This works b/c even though I have a ton of stuff in my database that arent really tasks (quarterly goals, etc) I simply set up the contexts so that I ahve one folder of contexts I call "RPM" and these are all the database items that arent really tasks , they are more labels or other data...then I use perspectives for my context view and I just exclude that folder, so I dont get all that extra stuff that woudl be "junk" in the context view.

Hope that make sense and helps

Oh-- another thing I've done is put some motivational photos for each category into the notes area...very helpful. (tho I wish I had more control over the layout of this area, for these purposes, tables within Notes would be super helpful).

This looks pretty cool. I just read through it briefly and you put a lot of meat on this bone. I’m heading out of town for a business trip, will more closely review later but I didn’t want you to think all the effort you took to type this up and lay it out went unappreciated. I really do thank you for taking the time to do that.

One quick impression is I'd rather not use projects for things that aren’t really projects, but the limitation is that in Omnifocus there’s no way that I can see to add notes to a project folder. I really want to try using the project folder level as the placeholder for AORs/COIs, so maybe what I'll do is put a project within each one that is simply there as a descriptor for that AOR/COI.

Good stuff. One thing I want to do in the new year is re-read GTD, and then go back and re-listen to TOYL. My first time through was before I knew about GTD. I’m sure I'll get a different perspective from it this time around.

glad its of use. best of luck with it
Yes there are tradoffs depending on how you structure stuff in OF. I tried it several differnet ways and hit various roadblocks before settling on this approach, at least for now. not perfect but it works pretty well.
cheers!
-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtnyc View Post
glad its of use. best of luck with it
Yes there are tradoffs depending on how you structure stuff in OF. I tried it several differnet ways and hit various roadblocks before settling on this approach, at least for now. not perfect but it works pretty well.
cheers!
-H

Hi Howard,
I have read over your posts and I have been trying to integrate RPM methodology over cloud base software. I have been searching for a couple years. I have been using the actual RPM software for a very long time and its time for an upgrade. I have the iphone & ipad versions of OF ( my mac-book was stolen so I no longer have the computer version for now )

Can you send some screen shots of how you have this set up? I am a little confused by some of the terms like nested projects ect.. Also if you have found better ways or better software I would love to hear.

-then under that I create a series of nested groups for quarterly goals/each quarter and annual goals and then "This week's goals (activities)"
-and this is key-- for each group I define an acronym which I put in parenthesis after it -- for example my current tasks uses (TWG) in the name.

This is the part I am getting confused on.. What is a nested group? Are you doing this in the notes section?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMIntergration View Post

This is the part I am getting confused on.. What is a nested group? Are you doing this in the notes section?
You can indent actions under other actions, making what are officially called action groups, but are often called "nested actions", "sub-projects", etc. Here's an example:

"check and record cold tire inflation pressures" and "adjust inflation as needed" are both action groups.

Yes. On iPad, tap on an action, tap the Info pane button,then use the Move button. iPhone is similar. Pretty sure this is all in the documentation ;-)

Most unfortunate about the stolen computer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Yes. On iPad, tap on an action, tap the Info pane button,then use the Move button. iPhone is similar. Pretty sure this is all in the documentation ;-)

Most unfortunate about the stolen computer!

Thanks for helping me work this out! I am all set now.