The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

o man where to start Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
first in the new build the 'switch' button in the header doesn't work

second --- how do I send feedback, i don't see a button or pull down for that allows me to send feedback (sorry, I see it is under help)

that said----

why isn't there reciprocal links --- take a look at Bento, you can open Address Book inside the program and it allows you to change/add listings AND this gives you --- in a sense --- the ability to import that information into your 'projects'

Under your context of e-mail or address book you should be able to add an e-mail address to what you are working on

AND AND AND

under Format/text there is a 'link' that is never highlighted. I would love to link to files (either omigroup (OmniOutlinker) or others) instead of importting.

here is how I see GTD working

Saturday I want to renew my prescription for my asthma med. so I add 'renew advair' action

well I don't want to drive there and then renew it, but when I am making my phone calls on Friday afternoon or Sat. Morning I will call the pharmacy and renew it. (and in my life I don't want to drive to the pharmacy at 11:07 a.m... I just want to do it when I finally shovel out of the snow and drive there, which is Saturday.)

so when I put in 'renew advair' I want to put in the phrarmcy as a sub-group AND be able to add the phone number from my address book ---- or gosh look up the number put it in OF and it will now be in address book.

then when I print out 'calls to make' I don't just have a list of people and businesses to call to look up, but the calls to make AND numbers

wait wait I got a better question. I thought I was getting a deal by "a pre-sale on OmniFocus has begun!" but if it doesn't provide the dream, it is a bit nightmare

this is the dream
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GTD

OmniFocus could be the means (at $40 it was worth it)

Last edited by librarymonkey27; 2007-12-04 at 09:29 PM..

Linking externally to Address Book would be nice. In the meantime, why not copy the number from the address book or wherever and put it in the notes field of your "Call pharmacy to renew advair prescription" action?

p.s. I'm sure that as a GTD purist you realise that "renew advair" is a project not an action. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
first in the new build the 'switch' button in the header doesn't work
This seems to be working for me; could you be more specific about what view settings you have and what results you are seeing? Hrm; it looks like there is a problem if you have nothing selected in context mode. I wouldn't think that is new, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarymonkey27 View Post
under Format/text there is a 'link' that is never highlighted. I would love to link to files (either omigroup (OmniOutlinker) or others) instead of importting.
The "Link…" menu works in the rich text notes; select some text, activate the menu and you can the enter a URL (just as you would in Text Edit).

To link files, just drag them onto a row (or use the context menu, or Edit > Attach File…)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Linking externally to Address Book would be nice.
You can link to Address Book now by dragging an Address Book entry onto a row (just like you would drag a file onto a row to link to it).

We do have some interface work to do to handle Address Book links better: right now you can right- or control-click on them and select "Open With Address Book", but at the moment they look just like plain text (except you can't select individual letters) instead of rendering like an Address Book card (or at least like a URL link), and it would be nice if you could open them in Address Book by simply double-clicking or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
You can link to Address Book now by dragging an Address Book entry onto a row (just like you would drag a file onto a row to link to it).
Ken, That used to work for me, but now, after dragging an address book entry onto a line in a note, when I click on it - instead of getting the address book entry like before, I now get that "Quick Look" window (using Leopard) and it's blank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
Ken, That used to work for me, but now, after dragging an address book entry onto a line in a note, when I click on it - instead of getting the address book entry like before, I now get that "Quick Look" window (using Leopard) and it's blank.
Sorry, that's caused by some work in progress. It won't stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
Linking externally to Address Book would be nice. In the meantime, why not copy the number from the address book or wherever and put it in the notes field of your "Call pharmacy to renew advair prescription" action?

p.s. I'm sure that as a GTD purist you realise that "renew advair" is a project not an action. :)
I don't really think there is a "GTD purist". I think it's something people think exists, but in the book David Allen says do what works for you using his concepts. Some people act as if it's a religion or dogma but it's not. "GTD purist" is an illusion that is made up in your minds.

Quote:

We do have some interface work to do to handle Address Book links better: right now you can right- or control-click on them and select "Open With Address Book", but at the moment they look just like plain text (except you can't select individual letters) instead of rendering like an Address Book card (or at least like a URL link), and it would be nice if you could open them in Address Book by simply double-clicking or something.
Awesome. I didn't think it was working because the link just looked like text in the notes field. As you say it would be more obvious if it was formatted as a URL. Still a great function to have, thanks!

if you drag an Address Book item in... not only can you right/control click, but in Leapord if you double click it gives you the black window (with a graph oval) that ayou can double click on and it will take you to address book.

still I say, if you put a Mac: email, it seems like you should get an email address and if you put Mac: phone you would get a phone number listed... Yes if you had more than one, which would it list...don't know

Quote:

I spent 30 minutes figuring out where linked files go, until I figured out I had to click the tiny little attachment icon on the far right of the item to see what I just dragged into it. Granted, I'm not the brightest bulb in the store, but what's wrong with letting links to files show up in the item description itself? This may be a bug, since the behavior is more 'normal' when I drag files which are not .oo3, but still.