The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unable to Synchronize database with server [Resolved] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Okay, do I understand correctly that you are an existing Mac OmniFocus user trying to add iPhone and iPad apps to the picture? In other words, is your data currently on the Mac?
Yes, put I also have data on the ipad that I want synced. But yes, you're right.

Have you ever had syncing working, or did you just start entering tasks on each device hoping to sync them together?

You can get the details on how many actions and projects are on the iPhone and iPad by going to their respective settings pages and reporting the statistics there. There isn't a built-in report in the Mac application, but from your answer on the other thread, I'm assuming that it has the largest number of items.

Here's how I recommend you proceed:

On the Mac, go to System Preferences, MobileMe. Find out what your member name is. Also verify that under the iDisk tab, iDisk Sync is off. If you use this feature, it can be turned on later, once we've gotten the devices all synced together (a different URL is needed in that case).

Now launch OmniFocus on the Mac, go to the Preferences, and select the Sync panel. Click the Reset button at the bottom left. Next, click on the MobileMe tab for sync method. This should get you the proper URL. Verify that your MobileMe member name appears in there. Click Sync Now. It should successfully sync your database to MobileMe. If you get a window offering to replace your database and start syncing, press Cancel. That will happen if there is an existing database present, and in that case you would want to use the File->Replace Server Database... command in OmniFocus to tell it that the copy on your Mac is the most up to date version and should replace the one on MobileMe.

Do this and report back.

Quote:
This should get you the proper URL. Verify that your MobileMe member name appears in there.
Ok, I'm on the above step and I have verified that my user name is included but after the /documents/ part it doesn't say anything else. Earlier you mentioned that it should also say OmniFocus.ofocus. <---that is not mentioned.

Update:

When I click on Sync now, it reads that the sync failed.

Note: My wifi works so it cannot be a network issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	failed sync with MM.png
Views:	387
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1547   Click image for larger version

Name:	failed sync with MM 2.png
Views:	380
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1548  

Last edited by omni-F-user; 2010-09-05 at 08:12 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni-F-user View Post
Ok, I'm on the above step and I have verified that my user name is included but after the /documents/ part it doesn't say anything else. Earlier you mentioned that it should also say OmniFocus.ofocus. <---that is not mentioned.
Yeah, I was giving the full pathname, but what you enter is the pathname for the directory that contains the OmniFocus.ofocus file (which as it turns out is actually a directory masquerading as a file).

/Documents is not the same as /documents, by the way — please be careful to report details exactly as they are presented to you, because what seems like an inconsequential matter often isn't.
Quote:
Update:

When I click on Sync now, it reads that the sync failed.
Okay, in the Sync preferences, if you click on the little i in a black circle at the end of the line where it reports that the sync failed, it should report the reason why it failed. What does it say?

Quote:
Yeah, I was giving the full pathname, but what you enter is the pathname for the directory that contains the OmniFocus.ofocus file (which as it turns out is actually a directory masquerading as a file).

/Documents is not the same as /documents, by the way — please be careful to report details exactly as they are presented to you, because what seems like an inconsequential matter often isn't.

Okay, in the Sync preferences, if you click on the little i in a black circle at the end of the line where it reports that the sync failed, it should report the reason why it failed. What does it say?

Ok, i figured out what the issue was. In System Preference> security>Firewall> advance> somehow OmniFocus was denied connections. I got it to accept connections and I got OF on mac to sync with MobileMe. Then I shared settings with iPhone and got the iphone to sync.

However, my iPad is not syncing. My Mac shows up but it shows up as if my internet is offline.

Great! I was just about to ask you about your firewall settings, but was trying to make it fail similarly first.

Use the Email Settings button on the OmniFocus (Mac) sync preferences page, then read the email on the iPad and tap the enclosed link. Wouldn't surprise me if the firewall is somehow interfering with the discovery mechanism.

Quote:
Great! I was just about to ask you about your firewall settings, but was trying to make it fail similarly first.

Use the Email Settings button on the OmniFocus (Mac) sync preferences page, then read the email on the iPad and tap the enclosed link. Wouldn't surprise me if the firewall is somehow interfering with the discovery mechanism.
I am still having issues with my iPad. I'm heading to bed lets continue this tomor.

Quote:

BTW. thank you for your help! It is really appreciated. I got the mac and iPhone to sync but working on the iPad. I'm about to do the email suggestion and open it up on iPad. This is what you're suggesting correct?