The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Modified Wedge Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
What's the best way to create a modified pie shape and then map it around a circle?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.png
Views:	759
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1287  

This forum limit only 4 images per post - so I have to split my answer into several replies.

This is one of may way of achieving what you want. For simplicity sake, I have only split the outer circle in 4.

1) Create a two circles inside each other. Make sure they are real circles :-)
Select both circles. Also note the use of guides - these are handy when dealing with stuff like this.

2) Subtract shapes by using the Edit -> Shapes -> Subtract Shapes menu

3) Cover the bottom half + "some more" with a square. Use the guide-lines for some eye-measure. You do NOT want to put the top of the sqaure directly on the middle of the circle.

4) Subtract the selected shapes again using the Edit -> Shapes -> Subtract Shapes menu

This forum limit only 4 images per post - so I have to split my answer into several replies.

5) You now have a half-circle

6) 3) Cover the right half + "some more" with a square. Use the guide-lines for some eye-measure. You do NOT want to put the left of the sqaure directly on the middle of the half circle.

7) Subtract the selected shapes again using the Edit -> Shapes -> Subtract Shapes menu

8) You now have the first quarter of the outer circle in place

9) Select and duplicate the shape

10) Use the "Horizonal Mirror" function in the Shape Geometry property

11) Adjust the mirrored shape - and pronto - you now have the upper half in place

12) Select both shapes and duplicate

13) Use the "Vertical Mirror" function in the Shape Geometry property

14) Adjust the bottom half of the - place a smaller circle in the center - add colours and shadows:

Hope this helps.

\Ruben

If you have OmniGraffle 5.1 installed - there is also a stencil you can begin with.

STEP 1: Find the Shapes stencil within the Common category / folder.

STEP 2: Select the wedged shape. Add the guides to have some control further down the road.

STEP 3: Add a circle on top of the wedged shape.

STEP 4: Select both shapes, and subtract the shapes using sing the Edit -> Shapes -> Subtract Shapes menu. Now you have the basis building block for the rest of your diagram :-)

Another way to get hold of the first wedge is to get it from the Creat Object menu:

Last edited by ruben; 2010-03-09 at 10:44 AM..

I have a quick question, when I create a shape using this method, the selection box around the part (4 small squares to resize) are the same size as the original part, if I have a quarter circle, the selection box shows the space a full half would take.
What am I doing wrong?