The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contexts? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
Rather, it would be the notice that, when I am otherwise and/or required to be specifically active in that context (doing my screening), there is a list of other such tasks that might be done at the same time. I think of the context as a frame of mind or state of current action rather than a call to required actions.
Yep. Related examples: I've got a Scanner context. I pretty much only look at it when I need to do some scanning, to see what else I could do now that I've got the scanner set up. The other actions in the Scanner context might be at a lower priority level or have less urgency associated, but if the marginal time to scan them once I'm scanning something else is small, it's probably more efficient to do them now rather than later. Similarly, if I'm going to drive 10 minutes to the grocery store to pick up the carton of eggs needed to make dinner tonight, I might as well check to see if there's anything we don't need tonight but will in the next few days so I can use the time I would otherwise waste on multiple trips to the store on one trip plus getting something else done.

JJW, That's sort of what I have to do now. It kind of raises another issue. I had a short shot using a borrowed Mac and a trial version of OF for Mac and set up several Perspectives. And what you've suggested would indicate that I would like/need to have the @screen context in a perspective so that I can consolidate it into a things to do at work perspective. So the issue is for Omnigroup to hurry up and get the ability to create perspectives on the ipad.

I really see tags as kind of a short cut for typing a keyword into a N/A and then searching for that keyword. Or perhaps a short term identify a project or N/A that might need a particular action.

For example, I could search for "sanction screen" and I'll pull up the screening I need, but, at least on the iPad, it also pulls up all of the completed "sanction screens". So a tag, in the absence of a context would be quicker.

Another place I can see a tag being useful is in preparation for my bi-weekly meetings with my boss to tag a particular project (or the next action in a project) so that I'll be able to pull it up and give her a status on it. There are 3 sort of levels of reporting. There are the high profile projects that require periodic and repeating status reports. That calls for a repeating N/A in a maintenance folder so that it shows up when it's needed. Then there are the projects that get assigned and she will hear about it when I finish and need her sign off. Those have a N/A in the project list itself to appear at the correct time. Finally there are the ones that when I am preparing for the meeting with her or perhaps during a weekly review I decide that I ought to touch on this at the next meeting. Usually it's something that I only need a trigger to the project and I would then look at the status of the tasks in that project and verbally report. Since these are ad hoc and the actual N/A could be changing between the time I identify it for reporting and the meeting, a tag would be the most efficient way to do it. Click the tag button, click my boss' name and then call up the items tagged during the meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedallen View Post
... what you've suggested would indicate that I would like/need to have the @screen context in a perspective so that I can consolidate it into a things to do at work perspective.
Sounds about right. For example, I have a "Noise" perspective that collects in Context view the "@Errands" and "➤ ..." (personnel effective) actions. That shows me the background stuff that hovers around me daily. Be careful to realize ... Perspectives only translate to the iX platforms when they are CONTEXT driven, not PROJECT driven. So, my Noise perspective translates to my iPod, but my "Visions" perspective does not (because it is Project-centric).

Quote:
I really see tags as kind of a short cut for typing a keyword ... or perhaps a short term identify a project or N/A that might need a particular action.
Again, I use contexts for this kind of thing.

Quote:
Another place I can see a tag being useful is ... to tag a particular project (or the next action in a project) so that I'll be able to pull it up and give her a status on it. ...
BINGO! This is EXACTLY what I mean too. I really want to be able to use tags (via OpenMeta!) to consolidate information about projects as part of summary reports.

--
JJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJJWMac View Post
Be careful to realize ... Perspectives only translate to the iX platforms when they are CONTEXT driven, not PROJECT driven.
And if you think it would be useful to have project-based perspectives on the iOS platforms (of course it would!), use Contact Omni (iPad gear menu) or Send Feedback (iPhone settings page) to let them know.