The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

how to handle coupons and events? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Okay, I get a ton of coupons I'd like to use and flyers for events that I might want to go to. These are two annoying sources of paper and mental clutter in my life, and the frequency with which I realize that oops, I don't have that coupon with me (I refuse to tote around a large file of these in my handbag!), or oops, that expired, or oops, I forgot I had a coupon for that store I just went to, or oops, I forgot that I was thinking about going to that concert, or whatever, is enormous.

The whole paper-tickler file is such a non-starter for me (too much everyday work, I slip up one day and freak out and never get back to it) -- I would rather have something much simpler, like a single paper file of coupons and electronic reminders to get things out of it when needed, and a electronic list of events and reminders to decide whether to go.

I am reluctant to put these things on a calendar directly, partially because they are often not associated with a specific date (I don't want a reminder on the day something expires, nor do I want a calendar item for every day the museum show is open), and partly because of screen and attentional real estate (I use the PDA for 99.9% of my calendar checks and entries, and I don't want a large pile of daily events or reminders of future events) I'd really want this stuff to show up, say, in a weekly review.

But I'm stuck trying to figure out whether this stuff belongs in OmniFocus as tasks (perhaps as a separate context of Coupons+ and Events+, or perhaps part of a Tickled project folder?), or as a separate OmniOutliner checklist (I keep a running outline of "interesting reference stuff I might want to check out at some point, things that don't even rise to the level of a "someday/maybe+"), or what. I'm quite confused on this...

--Aimee