The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
iRider Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
iRider was/is a great browser that unfortunately did not get funding. Even though it has not had much attention lately, and only runs under Windows, it's an excellent browser.

Copy these features:

Pin pages - must faster and more direct than snapshots.

Time refresh - why reload all pages when you can selectively refresh pages? Reload all is brute force, we want elegance. iRider allows me to set a reload interval in minutes/hours/days for each page. Of course we an always do the shotgun, reload all, but let's add some finesse and keeps my pages current without any attention.
 
Here are a couple of more things that you could copy from iRider:

1) Open link in new tab with just a click of the secondary mouse button (aka right click). Hold the right button down for the traditional right button menu.

2) Enter a search term in the address box. Who needs two boxes? It's obvious if a term is an address (starts with www or ends with .xxx) or a search term. One place to enter, the software can be smarter.
 
I'd be quite against the second point in the second post here - the ability to type apple/uk/thestore and get www.apple.com/uk/thestore is one of my favourite features of OmniWeb and Opera. I'd really hate to lose it.
 
You already can perform searches in the URL address bar, only you need to preface them with the shortcut/keyword for the search. E.g. typing google OmniWeb will do a google search for OmniWeb for me, similarly mu OmniWeb for a search at www.macupdate.com. This is obviously far more powerful than what you suggest yourself as you also have control over what type of search is performed rather than it always being for one site such as Google. You can also edit the shortcuts/keywords to your own taste, so e.g. replace "google OmniWeb" with "g OmniWeb". With the exception of not being able to easily change the search engine in the search field using the keyboard, OmniWeb's search feature is extremely powerful and easy to use and is one of its key features that makes it stand out against the rest (Firefox is OK, but adding additional search engines and terms is a pain compared to OmniWeb's click a field, click a button, define your shortcut, done approach).
 
I agree, the OW way is a tremendous shortcut.

Quote:
(Firefox is OK, but adding additional search engines and terms is a pain compared to OmniWeb's click a field, click a button, define your shortcut, done approach)
You can add search shortcuts in FF3 the same way you do in OW.
 
That will be a welcome improvement but unfortunately I'll never be able to use Firefox 3.0 (I only use Firefox - 2.x - on my work PC) due to a change in software installation policy which means that they will refuse to let me upgrade and would instead force me to use IE (I daren't remind them that I actually still have Firefox 2 installed and am using it, in case they do that now).

I can't bear it on the Mac, so it is very unlikely I will switch at any time in the future.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
You already can perform searches in the URL address bar, only you need to preface them with the shortcut/keyword for the search. E.g. typing google OmniWeb will do a google search for OmniWeb for me, similarly mu OmniWeb for a search at www.macupdate.com. This is obviously far more powerful than what you suggest yourself as you also have control over what type of search is performed rather than it always being for one site such as Google. You can also edit the shortcuts/keywords to your own taste, so e.g. replace "google OmniWeb" with "g OmniWeb". With the exception of not being able to easily change the search engine in the search field using the keyboard, OmniWeb's search feature is extremely powerful and easy to use and is one of its key features that makes it stand out against the rest.
Point taken and thanks for letting me know.

How about this for a suggestion from iRider. New pages opened from a link on a page are opened in a tab directly below, and perhaps indented 2 characters from, the page on which the link resided, rather than at the bottom of the tab list?

So if I open three new pages from a link on tab 5, they show up as tabs 5a-5b-5c, inserted before what was tab 6.

Last edited by Boatguy; 2008-01-27 at 12:32 PM..
 
Really, it could be an auto-generating graphical outline vis-a-vis Graffle.
 
Btw, I should have said that iRider has/had a lot of nice ideas in it (including being the first browser to feature graphical tabs as far as I am aware), but their implementation could perhaps be better. I like the idea of a collapsible hierarchy of tabs (especially for e.g. a forum) but I suspect its usability would not actually be that great in practice. Note, I'm speaking as someone who uses Firefox with Tab Mix Plus every day on my PC at work, which gives you the option to open tabs next to the parent rather than last in the list (and jump back to the parent when you close the child). It is definitely preferable to having the tab always open at the end of the list for 90% of things, but it actually is quite annoying when all you want to do is open a tab for a totally unrelated site to the ones you are in the middle of, where it would be preferable to open it at the very end of the list.

One other concept that I would like to see carried over from iRider (which did make it into TMP) is the ability to "pin" or "protect" tabs so that you can't close them by accident.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Btw, I should have said that iRider has/had a lot of nice ideas in it (including being the first browser to feature graphical tabs as far as I am aware), but their implementation could perhaps be better. I like the idea of a collapsible hierarchy of tabs (especially for e.g. a forum) but I suspect its usability would not actually be that great in practice. Note, I'm speaking as someone who uses Firefox with Tab Mix Plus every day on my PC at work, which gives you the option to open tabs next to the parent rather than last in the list (and jump back to the parent when you close the child). It is definitely preferable to having the tab always open at the end of the list for 90% of things, but it actually is quite annoying when all you want to do is open a tab for a totally unrelated site to the ones you are in the middle of, where it would be preferable to open it at the very end of the list.

One other concept that I would like to see carried over from iRider (which did make it into TMP) is the ability to "pin" or "protect" tabs so that you can't close them by accident.
iRider does allow you to open a new page at the bottom. Any address opened from the address bar, who's domain is not already open, opens at the bottom.

The pinning is somewhat similar to the snapshots in OW, just much more flexible. The combination of the pinning and workspaces would be very nice.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.