The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF iPhone stuck on opening Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernet View Post
Please let me know if I can provide you with more information to debug this one.
Be sure to contact the support ninjas directly at urgent@omnigroup.com when you've got a problem that prevents you from using the product. This forum only gets handled on an as-time-permits basis by Omni folks like Brian.

Yes, I did email omnifocus@omnigroup.com. Thank you for the suggestion! But I also wanted to post this here, so others could read about this, and I will make sure to post any useful information I will get from the OmniFocus guys here.

Alex

Freezing with an empty loading bar generally indicates that something's gone wrong with the application installation on the phone. I'd try removing and reinstalling the application. If that doesn't fix it, you'll want to contact the support ninjas so we can try to grab crash reports off your Mac.

I reinstalled OmniFocus on my iPhone and this solved the problem described above. Also, starting OmniFocus is now *much* faster. It went down from a few minutes to around 10 to 20 seconds. This is still very far from "snappy", but it gets close to "usable".

I also received back a message from the support ninja with this same recommendation: reinstall. Alright, at least until the next release, that will be our motto: "just reinstall it".

Alex

Now that you've got the app launching, you may want to open up the sync settings and set "Auto-Sync" to off. That means that you'll need to sync manually from time to time, but it also gives you faster access to your database. We just load the data on the phone as-is, rather than try to sync with your server.

Brian, this is a great advice. A lot of the crashes with the current version of OmniFocus for iPhone happen during sync, and with automatic sync, a sync, and hence a crash, can happen at any time. Disabling the automatic sync makes the OmniFocus for iPhone behave in a much more predictable way.

Alex

The slow of loading the database (?) gets in the way of making frequent entries on my iPhone. Does the size of the OmniFocus db affect loading time? If so, how about adding a preference to not load certain projects or action items (e.g., waiting for, onhold, stalled)?

Yes, a larger database will take longer to load - one thing you may want to try on the Mac version of the app would be to archive your older completed actions; to do that, select "move old data to archive" from the file menu.

That command creates a second database on your mac, which stores actions you've already completed. You can review those actions with the "Open Archive" command, but they'll no longer be synced to your iPhone.

If those tips don't speed up your start times enough, send an email to the support ninjas and we can work with you on getting this sorted out.