The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

An interesting Alternative [Appigo's ToDo] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
For any of you, who like me, are frustrated with OF's very basic repeating options, and lack of tags, etc., you might want to check out ToDo by Appigo.

They have a trial version on their site.
http://www.appigo.com

They have much better repeat functionality and a more streamlined interface (although I haven't worked with it enough to see if its *too* limited).

No event/iCal syncing yet - but perhaps they'll be more open to suggestions!

'not affiliated with them in any way, just came across it today and it looks interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedphil View Post
For any of you, who like me, are frustrated with OF's very basic repeating options, and lack of tags, etc., you might want to check out ToDo by Appigo.

They have a trial version on their site.
http://www.appigo.com

They have much better repeat functionality and a more streamlined interface (although I haven't worked with it enough to see if its *too* limited).

No event/iCal syncing yet - but perhaps they'll be more open to suggestions!

'not affiliated with them in any way, just came across it today and it looks interesting!
Repeat options are ahead but Otter than that (unless you want tags) I like OF way more, especially for serious usage.

focusphil,

I checked into ToDo and found a couple areas of concern, maybe you know more?

1) They don't mention anything about being able to export data out of their app. Usually this means once a user puts in their data, it's hard, if not impossible to get it out again. This leaves the user stuck with this sole app provider's development cycle. Which, in some cases dies or at least slow enough to no longer be relevant as industry competitors keep up with technology changes, like OmniFocus's swift adaptation to the new Siri technology.

2) There is a bit on the website about how ToDo syncs their Mac and iPhone apps "through" but not "with" iCloud. To me, this means that tasks created in ToDo will not sync with apple's reminders, etc. Another example of wall garden lock in. Have you had the chance to see if ToDo's data sync's with iCal's reminders?

Its free to check it out, so by all means do so, but I gave up on it earlier this year because the implementation of subtasks was terrible, which basically made it useless for differentiating between tasks and projects. Maybe it's improved, I don't know . . . .

ToDo doesn't have the extensive functionality of OF, but it is an excellent alternative to Things.

Last edited by Yosh; 2011-12-01 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: content fix

Yeah, I see it more of a "1.0" version. Not having and import and an export is probably a game stopper for anyone using another program. I'm not sure how I would put my list into it as the sub-project thing is a bit odd.

I hope the Omni folks would look at it just to see how they successfully added basic calendars to the interface (which would allow OF to do the "last Tuesday of the month" repeats, which is really the only way to accomplish such a feat.), and see how the other features -- like tags -- are implemented.

If you could marry the two, you'd have one killer product!

Quote:
I hope the Omni folks would look at it just to see how they successfully added basic calendars to the interface (which would allow OF to do the "last Tuesday of the month" repeats, which is really the only way to accomplish such a feat.)
It's possible to add custom repeats, including last Tuesday of the month, to an app without adding a calendar interface.

Boy, and I thought the OF UI was ugly... lol This thing takes the cake.

'least it would work.

Also there would have to calendaring built in (although perhaps not visible) as that's the only way for OF to know what "the last Friday of the month" would be. I don't think there are any APIs to the native iCal that has that functionality.