The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to organize your files corresponding to OF Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi everybody,

for quite some time am I looking for a supporting file-organization that reflects 1:1 the OF-projects. I have found a couple approaches in the forum, but they couldn't really help me:
e.g.
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13280
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=12734

The most sophisticated solution would probably be a single (or a few) filefolders* and file tagging (according to the OF-Projects). Unfortunatly the tagging software I have looked at is using a hack on OSX with an unknown future. Besides this insecurity I want to access the data with non-Macs. Eventually I prefer a simple filefolder system. This also helps integrating my iphone via a file client (dropbox, webDAV,..). BTW: Evernote is not an option for privacy and money reasons.

My thoughts to a filefolder solution are the following:

1. One ignores the OF folder hierachy and builds one filefolder for each OF project flat into the root filefolder. The flat structure clarifies the locality for all filefolders. Depending on the use this might amount to a couple hundred (thousands?) filefolders at some point. But one can handle it quite well with spotlight &co. This would mean little adaption of my applescript (see text below)
> How could name-modification be brought to the corresponding filefolder?
(OF internally uses IDs. But using them as names for the filefolders would render them unreadable)

2. To separte active from inactive filefolders one could setup extra filefolders (active, on hold, archived,..) with aliases to the actual project-filefolders from (1). Without alias every status-change would take a manual move of the corresponding filefolder. The aliases can easily be rebuild from scratch everytime something has changed (or on regular basis). It should not be too difficult to write a script for this. Since this would be a OSX-Solution, it doesn't help me on different platforms (my iphone).
> Any ideas?

Maybe someone has a much better approach to this. I shouldn't be the first, having this thoughts. But as said before, I couldn't find anything that integrates with OF. All help is appreciated!

Thanks for interest & patience,
Mathias

I wrote a script based on the Harrison/ Vitacolonna (thanks!) that reads out the OF-Project structure and rebuilds it as filefolders. This system has the problem, that any change in OF needs to be (more or less) manually adapted on the filefolders. Not to mention that it misses the GTD idea of being simple.

Harrison/ Vitacolonna Scripts:
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=10863

* filefolders: Filesystem-folders (Finder) to distinguish from OF-folders.