The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omniplan task in omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey there,

newby on planning here. I have starded with building some projects in Omniplan and i exported these to ICAL. All taks are in a new calander so i can aesily delate them if needed.
I synced them to my Iphone with I third party app.
But yesterday i downloaded my thirst copy of omnifocus and it seems that this application may work better for my simple planning projects. But now i like to sync these task from Ical back to omnifocus, or sync from omniplan to omnifocus.

Any ideas for this?

Thanx!

Ronald

I'm not sure if you are proposing to use both OmniFocus and OmniPlan, or simply want to switch over to OmniFocus. I've had some success exporting projects from OmniPlan to OmniFocus, but I don't use iCal to do it.

The easiest way to move a project outline from OmniPlan to OmniFocus is to use the File->Export command in OmniPlan and save the result as an OmniOutliner 3 document. Use the File->Import command in OmniFocus to import the data to your Inbox. You'll get a pop-up window that asks you to configure which fields in the OmniOutliner document correspond to the OmniFocus fields, and the default settings work reasonably. If you have OmniOutliner, you can delete all the columns that it proposes to map to the Metadata field (aka Notes) before doing the import into OmniFocus, but it isn't necessary. Unfortunately there is no apparent way to tell OmniFocus that you want to ignore a column on import. Now you'll have all the data in your Inbox, ready to have contexts assigned. Note you won't have any dependencies enforced (have to do this action before that one) unless you arrange your data with sequential projects or action groups. You will get start dates passed across if you set them up in OmniPlan (either explicitly or by leveling).

I've not come up with a reasonable way to propagate information from OmniFocus back to OmniPlan. Hopefully OmniPlan 2.0 and OmniFocus 2.0 will have some decent functionality for doing all of this smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I'm not sure if you are proposing to use both OmniFocus and OmniPlan, or simply want to switch over to OmniFocus. I've had some success exporting projects from OmniPlan to OmniFocus, but I don't use iCal to do it.
This is because i'am still in the dark here. Both app feels good to me. I'am not shure wat's best for me, us both or choose one. Practice will tell me this i hope.

Thanx for you help in exporting, importing.

Cheers,

Ronald