The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Missing feature: Auto-Save [bug: column title edits-in-progress not saving] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just want to point out that the 'Auto-Save' (introduced in (Mountain?) Lion) feature is not present in the current (public beta) builds of OmniOutliner 4 at the moment.

OmniOutliner 4 supports autosaving as managed by the OS. It will save when you switch to another application, or after about 5 mins of in activity. What behavior are you seeing that makes you think it isn't supported?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekM View Post
OmniOutliner 4 supports autosaving as managed by the OS. It will save when you switch to another application, or after about 5 mins of in activity. What behavior are you seeing that makes you think it isn't supported?
I opened a file, did a minor change (added in '(1)' in the title of the document) and pressed +W to quit.

Usually when you do that with Pages, the change is saved. For OO4, for some reason, the (minor) change was not saved. Only when I manually save by pressing +S, followed by +W to quit, is the change reflected.

By 'title of the document' do you mean you changed the file name through the top toolbar? That should automatically save as it's a file rename, it won't even prompt to save on close if that is what your OS pref is set to do. If this is an edit to the document contents, do you see "- Edited" appear after the file name in at the top of the document window?

Quote:
By 'title of the document' do you mean you changed the file name through the top toolbar? That should automatically save as it's a file rename, it won't even prompt to save on close if that is what your OS pref is set to do. If this is an edit to the document contents, do you see "- Edited" appear after the file name in at the top of the document window?
Sorry, should have phrased it better. I meant the 'title'(?) of the document as opposed to the file name.

I did a minor change to a document like that (opened up OO4 document, added (1) to the title, closed it by pressing +W – additions/changes were not saved).

Also, it's a minor point but also shouldn't 'Don't Save' be 'Delete' instead (following the updated terminology in (Mountain(?)) Lion)?

Also I'd like to say*– fantastic work with OmniOutliner 4. Best outlining/note-taking utility out there. Really looking forward to seeing how the audio recording function works (is it just one audio track for the entire document? Snippets of audio (like embedding images)? Or 'smart' audio like Livescribe's system, where you can be directed to a certain part of the document as you pan/scroll through the audio track?).

Can't wait!

Oh, I see what's going on. That is the column title by the way. It would appear we discarding in-progress edits in the column titles. If you end editing on the column title first, by clicking out of it or pushing return, it should be saved. We'll get that fixed, thanks.

Don't Save is actually accurate here because we don't use iCloud. With Pages or TextEdit, if you cancel that save dialog the file actually gets saved to iCloud automatically. That's why it says delete because there is a something more than just a temp file to delete.

Quote:
Oh, I see what's going on. That is the column title by the way. It would appear we discarding in-progress edits in the column titles. If you end editing on the column title first, by clicking out of it or pushing return, it should be saved. We'll get that fixed, thanks.

Don't Save is actually accurate here because we don't use iCloud. With Pages or TextEdit, if you cancel that save dialog the file actually gets saved to iCloud automatically. That's why it says delete because there is a something more than just a temp file to delete.
Ok, thanks for the clarification.