The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database" error message Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispix View Post
I used to sync directly to the database on my mac, but got sick of the notifications that I hadn't synced recently enough, so I switched to WebDAV.
It makes no difference how you do the syncs; if you don't sync often enough, you'll get the notification about not syncing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
It makes no difference how you do the syncs; if you don't sync often enough, you'll get the notification about not syncing.
Right, but with WebDAV, it syncs whenever I open the app on my iPhone. When I was syncing locally, I had to open the app when I was at home with my mac not sleeping, which I did rarely.

Quote:
I used to sync directly to the database on my mac, but got sick of the notifications that I hadn't synced recently enough, so I switched to WebDAV. It worked fine for a few days, then I got the error above. So it's still happening with the latest OF on my mac and 1.6.5 on my iPhone. What a PITA!
I should also add that this error appeared for me after I upgraded to iOS 4, so perhaps there's a new syncing issue.

Chris, you mention the "haven't synced in a while" message, but the thread title is a different message. Can you clarify which message you got after updating your phone?

We haven't gotten any other reports of the message in the title of this thread, but if that's what happened to you and you still have both databases, please contact the support ninjas so we can look into this. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Chris, you mention the "haven't synced in a while" message, but the thread title is a different message. Can you clarify which message you got after updating your phone?

We haven't gotten any other reports of the message in the title of this thread, but if that's what happened to you and you still have both databases, please contact the support ninjas so we can look into this. Thanks!
Sorry for the confusion. I previously was getting the "haven't synced in a while" message, so I switched from local sync to WebDAV to avoid it. My phone was syncing fine with WebDAV. A few days later, I upgraded my iPhone to iOS 4, and then I started getting the "database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database" message.

So it's possible that the issue has to do with WebDAV sync, iOS4, or the combination of the two. If you'd like, I could send support my iPhone database and my WebDAV info.

Quote:
So it's possible that the issue has to do with WebDAV sync, iOS4, or the combination of the two. If you'd like, I could send support my iPhone database and my WebDAV info.
If you see the incompatible message again, it would be very helpful if you can zip up the server database and the database from the device that's presenting the message and send those off to the support ninjas. We'll be able to compare the two and figure out what's going on.

(On a Mac, your database is stored in ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus. To send the database from an iOS device, open this debug page in Safari on the device, then tap the "Email Database" link at the top.)

Thanks very much for the help with this!

I'm having this same database incompatibility problem as others have had. I tried the earlier suggestion of emailing the databases to the ninjas, but the link just crashed OmniFocus on my phone, and didn't send the data. I'm surprised this is still an issue given the number of people who've had similar problems for more than a year. I rely very heavily on OmniFocus in my professional and personal life -- as the user below said, it's hard to trust a piece of software when this happens. So what do we do? How do we fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrum68 View Post
Thought this problem would be solved with the latest iPhone version. Nope.

Sent this email to Omni:

I used to receive this error:
"database on your iPhone is incompatible with the sync database"
with the a latter version of Omnifocus for iPhone (I'm currently using 1.6.1).

Like an idiot, I synced, and now have an old version of my Omni lists on my iPhone and desktop.

So, so frustrating. And worse, it's hard to trust your software when this happens.

So now what guys?

Omnifocus version 1.7.3
Omnifocus iPhone 1.6.1
OS 10.5.8
Sync via MobileME

Contact the support ninjas. The latest version of the app allows you to extract the database via iTunes, so they can have a look at it even if you can't use the email database link.

Thanks for the quick-fix, OmniFocus folks. I got help from the Tech Support Ninjas who got me set up to synch through the omni focus server instead of my local server, which solved the problem. They also told me how to go back into my backups and find any data that might have been lost in the synch issue, so no data lost, and now all is working well. Yay Omni Focus!

Hi

What was the fix? I get the same issue. I'm syncing between my MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iPad and iPhone 4 (4.1)