The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Applescript for finding an OmniFocus project quickly Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
You can use this script from LaunchBar, or on its own, to find a project quickly by typing a phrase or a few characters from its name.

LaunchBar: select the script in LaunchBar and tap the space bar to get a text field.

On its own: install the script in the OF toolbar, or in the OF script menu.
When the script is run, the user will be prompted to enter a part of the project name.

If there is only one match, the script will immediately switch the focus to the specified project. If there are several matches, the user is offered a list from which one or more choices can be made.

(Tip: for an alphabetic listing of all projects, just enter a percentage character %, or an underscore character _ on its own.

Wildcards generally: % can be used as a substitute for any number of characters in a project name, and _ can be used as a substitute for any single character.)

-- Ver 0.1 adds alphabetic sorting
-- Ver 0.2 defaults to opening a new window [this can be reset by editing pblnNewWin above to false]
-- Ver 0.3 brings OmniFocus to the front
-- Ver 0.4 fixes the handling of search strings and project names which contain double quotes
-- Ver 0.6 If no match found, dialog now offers to run an amended search or create a project

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-08-01 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Added link to script at http://bit.ly/FindOFProj

This is great! I've been looking for something like this for years. Is there any way to have it open a new window when it focuses on the project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpw View Post
Is there any way to have it open a new window when it focuses on the project?
I've amended the script (in the zip in the post above).

It now defaults to opening a new window.

(The old behaviour can be restored by editing the pblnNewWin property at the start of the script to false).

Modified, in the zip above, so that it brings OF to the front when you are using another application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
Modified, in the zip above, so that it brings OF to the front when you are using another application.
More proof that the automatic software updater for Applescript I keep encouraging you to write would be time well spent :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
More proof that the automatic software updater for Applescript I keep encouraging you to write would be time well spent :)
Mm ... How does one get it to update itself while running ?
Perhaps an updater updater ? And so on ? :)

(Oddly enough, I notice that there do seem to be precedents ...)

Still no automatic updater, but if no match is found, Ver 0.6 now offers to run an amended search, or create and focus on a project of the given name.

This is almost exactly what I've wanting. Thanks!

(Exactly would be for Omnifocus to have this built in. ;)

Hey,

I got this error : AppleScript reported the following error:
OmniFocus got an error: No smart group has the identifier "all-projects".

What should i do?

thanks.

If that was caused by having pblnNewWin set to false, and searching with a context view window open, then Ver 0.7, which now ensures that we are really looking at a project view window, should fix it.

(Ver 0.7 above)

Last edited by RobTrew; 2010-11-28 at 08:09 AM..