The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omnifocus as a Mail Client.. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

I've been using OF for about 2+ years and over time I've used it less & less.. I host it on my home server, have it on my iPhone, iPad & Macs. After trying the techniques to use as prescribed via the GTD doctrine, in the end it served best for me as an effective a to-do list.

But even when utilizing it this way, what bugged me the most is 'going to it' (meaning proactively checking my devices) to check on what to to next.

I then got turned on the gmail's priority inbox and OF became obsolete in an instant: the main reason for me is.. at work I'm always staring at gmail and on any system (mac, win linux). My priority inbox shows me my todo labels, as I've arranged, right at the top of my email view, and below is 'everything else' as it is coined. I look at the list, I do something, and unlable it as a to-do, done. And people are happy at work.

I love OF and didn't want to abandon it but gmail priority for a to-do list just makes sense (for me) although, I find my self wanting, and wishing to work with Omnifocus. So I thought it would be great if it was mail client or better a webmail client where it allows you to add & view your email accts, and handles all your tasks, projects and all other OF project organizing features all in one place. And if not a webmail client at least a desktop & iOS mail client that did the same. Anyways, one can dream..thanks and back to gmail.

PS. if this isn't the place to post a suggestion, can someone pls point me in the right place?

Thanks

I think you can use Apple Mail together with OmniFocus to create what you are looking for. That's about as close as it gets.

Maybe see these examples:

http://www.asianefficiency.com/email...ail-omnifocus/

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...s-ios-mail-app

Hi wilsonng,

I'm aware of both links and I've already done the email to OF inbox thing.. that actually made me use OF more & more as a effective to-do list and eventually got tired of checking that to-do list.

Never the less, thank you for your suggestions!

yeah, i'd love to see OmniFocus with a built-in mail client and tighter integration with Apple Address Book.

Then I'd be able to click on a contact and see tasks delegated or associated with a person or organisation.

I'm interested in seeing BusyMac's BusyContacts which seems to have integration with Apple Reminders.

Unfortunately, building a good mail client doesn't seem to be as easy as it seems. Microsoft Entourage was a mess according to some users (corrupting mail databases). I remembered Netscape Navigator used to have a built-in mail client. I guess Mozilla has Thunderbird. I remembered trying out PowerMail a long time ago.

Maybe, one day, we'll find the Holy Grail with a task manager/contact relations manager/calendar/mail client to be created. I'm still waiting... *sigh*