The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Have You Attempted a Weekly Review on the iPad? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
If you adjust the review interval when there are no projects left to review, it changes the default. Changing a large number of review intervals (or anything else) on the iPad is certainly tedious work, but a snap on the Mac if the change being made is to the same value.

I had been neglecting my weekly review for a while, but having it on the iPad (a very new thing, as I have only had the iPad for a few days now) has made the review so easy. I can easily go through everything and keep it under control. Just having it there has given me increased productivity.

Just picked up my iPad 2 a couple of weeks ago and did my first weekly review on it last night.

I really like getting out of my house when I do these reviews (courtyard, rooftop, Starbucks, park, etc.) and I found that to be cumbersome when I had my Macbook Pro. This week I decide to try the iPad review. It was a huge success. Very simple and easy and I was focused on that one screen. On top of that I synced my bluetooth keyboard and was even more comfortable. All I carried was my iPad and that keyboard. It was great.

What I did was I set up all projects separately to review on a certain period of time. Like someones once per week, some once per year.

Now if I would want to suddenly review ALL my projects, how can I do this? I think in iPad I would have to individually press each project separately (by pressing down and pushing review project).

Is there an easier way in omnifocus for Mac to set all my projects for reviewing - so that I can then review them all on iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devastat View Post
What I did was I set up all projects separately to review on a certain period of time. Like someones once per week, some once per year.

Now if I would want to suddenly review ALL my projects, how can I do this? I think in iPad I would have to individually press each project separately (by pressing down and pushing review project).

Is there an easier way in omnifocus for Mac to set all my projects for reviewing - so that I can then review them all on iPad?
You can access the review setting under the project tab via inspector tab.

devastat,

If you want to set all of your projects to be ready for review on some specific date, in OmniFocus on the Mac, select all of the projects, bring up the inspector, and set the next review date for the whole bunch at once.

Now that I've told you how to do that, let me encourage you not to do so :-)

If you really want to review all of your projects, why not just bring up the project view and look at each project in turn? The only thing that tapping the Mark Reviewed button does is to update the date the project was last reviewed, and the date it will next be due for review. If you are really going to review everything, and you like having different projects on different review cycles, reviewing everything at once (or rather, marking everything reviewed at once) can be counterproductive. For the day-to-day operation of your system (keeping your active projects moving and remaining alert to any impending catastrophes), I think it is better to review every day, looking at a fraction of your projects, so that you give each reviewed project a quality review, rather than an abbreviated glance. As a bonus, intelligent scheduling of reviews means you don't have to set aside such a large block of time—which is easier to carve out of a busy schedule, X uninterrupted hours, or 5 blocks of about X/5 hours? If you divide up all of the projects that are reviewed at a given interval, and set evenly-sized chunks of them to have their next review date today, tomorrow, etc. over the course of that interval, you get a steady stream of work, rather than one big pile. So, take all of the projects you review weekly, divide it in to 7 groups, and set 1/7 to be reviewed today, 1/7 tomorrow, and so on. For a bit of extra cleverness, use a prime number for the review interval, which maximizes the time between cycles lining up.

There are two key things about this workflow: you really want to do some reviewing every day (if you don't, the reviews will get bunched up), and doing any sort of "all projects" review should be done without marking the projects reviewed with the review mechanism (again, you'll undo the optimization). In exchange for that, you get a relatively steady review workload, and you can review individual projects on whatever granularity they require without any changes to your workflow. Got a project that needs daily reviewing, but you do weekly reviews? That's a problem. Got a project that needs daily reviewing, and you do daily reviews? Not a problem. Set the project's review interval to a day. Everything else can stay on a more relaxed schedule.

@whpalmer4 Thank you very much for a very helpful post.

Ever since the first release of the iPad app, I've been trying to do my reviews solely on the tablet.

I'm sad enough to have a repeating task for the review (I'd never get around to it unless nagged by an overdue task!) and on the occasion I've had to do it on my Mac it feels a chore in comparison. On the iPad it's almost a pleasure.

I'm still not sure whether it's the software or the hardware that makes the difference... I think it's the sign of a well-designed app.

I do my weekly review on my Macbook Pro in a program called Daylite. However, I am considering making some changes. Today I clicked on Review on the OF iPad app just to see what it looks like. How do I get out of Review and back to the main OF program! Thanks.

Steve

Press the Home button just below the inbox button.