The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Questions - I want to switch from Things Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
So if you someone doesn't mind helping us out, how in the heck does a GTD purist prioritize and sort the items to get done today? Just to clarify, I'm aware that we can set a start date and then use perspectives to sort by start date to see today. But say now one has ~ 10 tasks set to start today, the tasks have been looked over and confirmed to start today, and now it is time to set a semblance of order to work through them. Manually adjusting start times (8:00 AM, 11:30 AM) will work but is time consuming!
The way that I do it is to start with a group of those tasks that are important to me, such as everything for a particular project or everything in a particular context. I really try to focus on clearing out projects or clearing out contexts.

The other thing that I do is to not worry about the order and just start at the top.

One thing that I rely on is that, so long as everything with a deadline is under control, any one task that I do is just as good as another. Every available task moves you towards your goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
So if you someone doesn't mind helping us out, how in the heck does a GTD purist prioritize and sort the items to get done today?
"GTD purists" don't prioritise. All actions are available at all times subject to context, time available and whether or not I can be bothered. GTD accepts that things are always in flux so there isn't much point in setting priorities if they are going to change all the time.

Having said that, it is possible to have pseudo prioritisation. In the Context perspective the actions can be ordered by the order of the projects in the Project perspective sidebar.

In my projects list I tend to drag the more pressing or important projects towards the top of the list. That way the next actions for those projects will appear towards the top of each context list.