The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniGroup - OmniPlan/OmniFocus lack of integration! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am looking to improve workflow and project management in my small engineering team. We all like the OmniGroup tools on Mac.

After spending a day to look at this I am beginning to realize that the native integration between OmniPlan and OmniFocus is really quite lacking. The group likes OmniFocus. But Basecamp sync's with it, while OmniPlan does not!!!!

I have looked at work arounds, but come up short everywhere.

Very disappointing - and a likely reason we might not go the OmniPlan route...

I cannot express, how disappointed I am. I like client based tools, and am not a fan of browser apps for mission critical stuff like project planning.

Anybody have any ideas?

There's very interesting OmniPlan-OmniFocus integration in the works. Unfortunately, the OmniFocus side of things isn't ready to go...

Rob Trew's op->of and of->op scripts are remarkably useful, but that's a long way short of proper integration or sync.

I'd love to have better integration too but wonder just how deep the integration can be, given the very different underlying purpose of the tools.

While there is a lot of overlap between the attributes of tasks in each tool, there are significant differences elsewhere. For example projects, contexts and perspectives only exist in OF while resources, calendars etc only exist in OP. If a task is created in one tool, how will the other deal with the missing attributes? It's certainly not obvious to me.

I got the impression (I can't remember where) that what was being mooted was that from OP, a "manager" would be able to send a task to a resource (minion, serf, uniform plastic employee). It would arrive in their inbox at which point they could assign it to a project/context, add a dancing cat gif attachment, whatever...

When the task finally gets completed, some form of notification goes back to the managers OP and the plan gets updated.

This may be confabulation on my part, but this seems like a plausible useful minimum level of integration.

My choice would be to smash the two tools together to produce one huge Godzilla scale application, but just imagine the size of the user manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
My choice would be to smash the two tools together to produce one huge Godzilla scale application, but just imagine the size of the user manual!
i don't share the view (or don't appreciate the fact if it is one) that the data for any particular action need be so incompatible between the apps, and i think at least optional linking of any action or group of actions or projects to omnifocus from omniplan, plus automatic updating on completion in both apps should be implemented sharpish.

i don't see (in my wisdom) any reason why focus and plan views need not simply be different views in one app, or act as if they were one app... one with a focus on planning, and the other on execution.

i've yet to reply to a lengthy explanation from one of the development team of why omni apps should not be integrated into an omnisuite, but i didn't find it entirely convincing. it's as much a conceptual difference as a technical one. where there's a will there's a way...

the reason why i found this thread is because i keep hesitating to buy omnifocus until there is integration between that and omnifocus, which i use a lot, and with increasing satisfaction...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektroglide View Post
the reason why i found this thread is because i keep hesitating to buy omnifocus until there is integration between that and omnifocus, which i use a lot, and with increasing satisfaction...
Short of the unspecified integration in development, there is a level of integration via iCal and the OF forecast view (iOS only - for now).

It's obviously a long way short of what you're asking for, but I tend to use like this:

In OmniPlan create tasks that represent which contexts I'm going to attend to and for how long. Sync to a "Plan" iCal calendar. Use forecast view in OF to view the "Plan" calendar and see what context ought to be in, then view what tasks are available in that context in OF.

An example of the work flow would be that I notice that the number of things I need to buy (in real shops - remember those?) is quite large so I plan a trip to the shops (@Shopping in OP - 2hrs) which appears in iCal and OF for Saturday morning (since OP knows that I'm free then). On saturday morning I look at the OF forecast and see that I should go @Shopping - so I do. When I'm there I use my OF @Shopping context and voila.

Fuller integration where OP displayed the 40 things I needed to buy is a level of excruciating detail I could probably do without.

I appreciate other peoples needs may be different...

Alternatively, psycotherapy for my OCD might be cheaper than all these software licences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
Alternatively, psycotherapy for my OCD might be cheaper than all these software licences.
I just landed on this thread because I read of possible integration on MacStories (can't post the link, because it's my very first post... sorry, but Google should do the trick) and wanted to know if any step ahead was made... Sorry to hear what previous posters said... I'm a big fan/user of OmniFocus and would like to use it linked to OmniPlan (ok... I just downloaded a demo of it, but as far as I can see it's great for my needs).

Anyway, psidnell... let me know where you go for psychotherapy: we might get a big discount if we go together... ;-)

As a user of both OmniFocus and OmniPlan since they were introduced in beta, this is the one feature I look for first in every release. It's quite tiresome to try to simulate OmniPlan scheduling with tasks in OmniFocus. I do not want them merged into one app - that would be a disaster - but would definitely like to see even simple data sharing between the two.