The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

"Projects" view + "Contexts" view are slightly mis-named / misconceived Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
OK - that sounds interesting - the "Inbox" becomes a query listing any incomplete records, and ceases to be simply a point of arrival.
{Back from 2 days out of town}

This makes sense to me. Inbox = all items needing further processing. Processing = filling in both a Project (or Singleton category) and Context (including a conscious choice of Unassigned, for anyone who might want to use it). We might even argue the merits of Preferences requiring items to have start or due dates before leaving the Inbox.

The point I was so brainlessly trying to make a few days ago is that not all Actions need to go through the Inbox at all. And in my case, 95% of my actions either:
- are singletons, and I know the Context
- go into already defined projects, and I know the Context
- are the start of new Projects, and I have the time and desire to process them immediately

I don't see this as non-GTD as much as applying GTD to a different sort of work. [I'm a housewife with a few solo projects. I don't work with people on a constant basis, my interruptions come at scheduled times, I have tons of singletons, many repeating items and only a few capital-P Projects.] GTD principals (empty your head, contexts not priorities) help me get things done as much as they help any worker bee, but I have to adapt them to fit. I desperately need a program to manage my GTD lists, but it has to be one I can adapt to my needs. OmniFu at present adapts quite nicely, while other GTD software doesn't.

Part of the reason OF adapts so well is that I'm not locked into the 5 step process. The 5 steps are great for complex work involving planning time, several people's input, etc. I have the ability to handle several of the steps when the idea strikes, so I don't want a program that forces me to hold back and not do them at the same time.

--Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizPf View Post
Part of the reason OF adapts so well is that I'm not locked into the 5 step process. The 5 steps are great for complex work involving planning time, several people's input, etc. I have the ability to handle several of the steps when the idea strikes, so I don't want a program that forces me to hold back and not do them at the same time.
I agree; that's what irritated me about Midnight Inbox. I've been rereading Allen's <i>Getting Things Done</i> lately and what strikes me this time, after a couple years, is the emphasis on having the simplest system that meets your needs. Needless complications simply slow you down. We have this forum for that; we don't need OmniFocus to do it too!