The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How about a better favorites bar? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just throwing this out there but I'm not fan of the favorites bar in OmniWeb. The favicons idea is nice but too much for the main bar as they take up too much room. The entire bar and how it functions just don't seem as sexy as Safari's too. And it doesn't really look like part of the window to me. Any chance this will be getting improved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace
Just throwing this out there but I'm not fan of the favorites bar in OmniWeb. The favicons idea is nice but too much for the main bar as they take up too much room. The entire bar and how it functions just don't seem as sexy as Safari's too. And it doesn't really look like part of the window to me. Any chance this will be getting improved?
I much prefer the way it is now - in fact I use only favicons as shortcuts on the right hand side of the bar.

What I would like though, is blending in of the favourites bar into the unified toolbar (maybe switchable to the old style via prefs?)

how do you get some of them to align on the right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
how do you get some of them to align on the right?
Lots of spaces in the name of the "Ablage "-Folder :) .

hehe, that was the only way I could come up with.

On a side note, I named the base directory structure for my work files in German. OS X really doesn't like umlauts, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
hehe, that was the only way I could come up with.

On a side note, I named the base directory structure for my work files in German. OS X really doesn't like umlauts, does it?
Never had a problem with umlauts in a directory name? Unless trying to use the terminal, of course. Took me bloody ages before THAT accepted umlauts :mad: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphaag
Never had a problem with umlauts in a directory name? Unless trying to use the terminal, of course. Took me bloody ages before THAT accepted umlauts :mad: .
Yeah, I had some backup scripts that didn't like them. But I haven't used them since maybe Jag.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic.

Part of the reason the Safari ones look good is that they don't use favicons. I think it would be cool if OW offered the ability to display the favicons but with a set tone. That way there isn't a bunch of different colors across the bar.

I use a separate address bar, so the breakup isn't that big of an issue for me.

Continuing off topic, I discovered the other day that applescript could pass unicode text (say, japanese characters) to grep, which would use it properly, but it seems impossible to get it to accept it in a terminal.

Anyway, as far as the favorites bar, it would be nice to be able to set which links get the ⌘n shortcuts; as it is now, I never use them.