The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Is a No-action List possible Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by ext555 View Post
I think some of what's being misunderstood is , the GTD concept involves many " lists " but not all of them are " task " or " action " lists . Your system should include reference lists " places I'd like to visit " etc ..

Omni-focus is just a part of the GTD system and it's specifically for managing " actions " and to some degree , the projects that may or may not be connected to them . If the tool tries to become the " whole system " then you've got a bloated thing that gets so complex , no one enjoys using .
I agree that OF is not the whole GTD system (e.g. I still make heavy use of iCal for date/time specific items). But I'm not sure tracking the kinds of lists we're talking about here causes bloat.

Your example of "places I'd like to visit" seems to fit fine in OF. For example, I have a Single-Action List called "Activities" that I keep On Hold. In it, I have an arbitrary list of ideas for things I'd like to do with my kids, including places we'd like to visit. For example:

- Go whale watching at Point Reyes
- Check out Henry Coe State Park
- Look into Doozla for the kids' computer

I check the list whenever I need some ideas (and sometimes during my periodic reviews) and move items out when I'm ready. The item then becomes a new Project, an action in an existing Project, or an action in an active Single-Action List. I have similar lists for books and films that work much the same way.