The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Moving OF to different computer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do you move OF with your files to a different computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guern
How do you move OF with your files to a different computer?
One way would be to select "Back Up Database..." from the File menu to create a backup, then transfer that backup over to your other computer and select "Revert to Database Backup..." (also in the File menu).

Alternatively, you could copy the Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder over to your other computer. This format isn't as compact as the backup (since the backup will coalesce all the individual transactions from your library folder).

Hope this helps!

a few comments/suggestions on this thread, with the caveat that I am still waiting to be "sneaky peaked". For use scenarios on multiple computers, it would be real nice to facilitate setting the default folder for OF to a different one -- this facilitate transporting datafiles between machines. There are at least two ways to do this:
- a direct options setting in OF
- allowing an alias to be put into the default folder directing the use of a file/folder located elsewhere (this is basically what entourage allows).

as an alternative, enabling .mac syncing.

I move my OF file from home and to work using a USB thumb drive.

This is how I do it...

I bought a USB thumb drive.
The ScanDisk Micro Cruzer

http://sandisk.com/Products/Catalog(...ash_Drive.aspx

Nice thing about this drive is low cost
and I can plug it into my keyboard.

Some thumb drives when I plug into a keyboard, I'll get an error message saying the keyboard is not supplying enough power.

Then I create an encrypted disk image using Apple's Disk Utility.
I place the image on the thumb drive.
mount it
Then move my OF data file onto it.

Some minor annoyances...
1. You cannot open the OF application.
It will create a file in your user folder.
To open, click on the OF file on the key drive and let it open OF.

2. Some minor preferences are not saved.
Remembering window size
wether the filter is on or off

Besides that, it works beautifully.

A nice caveat is OF is saving the backups to my local hard drive in case there is a problem.

enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
One way would be to select "Back Up Database..." from the File menu to create a backup, then transfer that backup over to your other computer and select "Revert to Database Backup..." (also in the File menu).

Alternatively, you could copy the Library/Application Support/OmniFocus folder over to your other computer. This format isn't as compact as the backup (since the backup will coalesce all the individual transactions from your library folder).

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much... I thought about the backup routine but wasn't quite sure. :-)

I am very interested in being able to selectively open more than one file in OF, ideally, both open at the same time, but minimally, being able to do a 'file open' command (even if it closes the currently open one). The situation is having two completely different responsibility sets (jobs, if you will) at two different computers/locations, so I'd occasionally want to open up the 'other' file off a thumb drive.

Defer! Omnibob's use case can be handled within the existing functionality (just Focus on the project(s) at hand, and/or set up good Contexts).

Leave "support multiple OmniFocus documents" out of 1.0, and ship it that much sooner!

$.02,

-bbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce
Defer! Omnibob's use case can be handled within the existing functionality (just Focus on the project(s) at hand, and/or set up good Contexts).
With respect for your opinion about priorities (i.e., what ships or not in v.1.0), in my situation I'm not *regularly* moving the data back and forth, and in fact never move data from location B to A, so that won't work for me.

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnibob
I am very interested in being able to selectively open more than one file in OF, ideally, both open at the same time, but minimally, being able to do a 'file open' command (even if it closes the currently open one).
While it's not in the File menu, you can actually do this now: just double-click on an OmniFocus document (in the Finder) to open it.

Thanks, that is excellent.