The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sidebar selection feels slow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is it just my imagination or does the most recent build (rev 95633) feel slow when clicking on projects in the sidebar of Project mode? There seems to be a noticeable delay from the point I release the mouse button to the point at which the content of the project is displayed. This seems to happen even on very small projects with only one or two actions.

I don't recall this delay being there before. Perhaps it is related to this change from the release notes:
When changing selection in the sidebar, if there is exactly one result row in the content outline and it is expandable, it is now automatically expanded.

Of course, I could just be imaging things as well. It's been a long day.

I'd say to trust your instinct =)

Could you try the following:

- Launch /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app
- Get OmniFocus all ready with the keyboard focus in the sidebar
- Find OmniFocus in Activity Monitor (the search filter on the toolbar is useful here) and click the Sample Process toolbar item
- Quickly (!) switch to OmniFocus and hit the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard repeatedly

Activity Monitor will split out a report after a few seconds of this which you could then post here or send via feedback.

Thanks!

vBulletin only takes a max of 10,000 characters, so here's as much as I can fit. I'll email the whole file of some 709k characters.

Sampling process 1394 for 3 seconds with 1 millisecond of run time between samples
Sampling completed, processing symbols...
Analysis of sampling OmniFocus (pid 1394) every 1 millisecond
Call graph:
1742 Thread_2503
1742 start
1742 _start
1742 NSApplicationMain
1742 -[OAApplication run]
1742 -[NSApplication run]
1480 -[OAApplication sendEvent:]
1480 -[NSApplication sendEvent:]
1479 -[NSWindow sendEvent:]
1441 -[OOOutlineView keyDown:]
1437 -[NSView interpretKeyEvents:]
1437 -[NSResponder interpretKeyEvents:]
1437 -[NSKeyBindingManager(NSKeyBindingManager_MultiClien ts) interpretKeyEvents:forClient:]
1437 -[NSKeyBindingManager(NSKeyBindingManager_MultiClien ts) interpretEventAsCommand:forClient:]
1437 -[OOOutlineView doCommandBySelector:]
1437 -[NSResponder doCommandBySelector:]
1437 -[OOOutlineView(Actions) moveUp:]
1437 -[OOOutlineView(Selection) selectRow:]
1437 -[OOOutlineView(Selection) selectRow:extendSelection:]
1437 -[NSKeyValueFastMutableSet setSet:]
1437 -[OOTreeController(Selection) setSelectedNodes:]
1437 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueObserverNotification) didChangeValueForKey:withSetMutation:usingObjects:]
1437 NSKVONotify
1091 -[OFSetBinding observeValueForKeyPath:ofObject:change:context:]
1091 -[NSKeyValueNotifyingMutableSet minusSet:]
1091 -[NSKeyValueSlowMutableSet minusSet:]
1091 -[OOOutlineView(Selection) setSelectedNodes:]
1091 -[OOOutlineView(SelectionPrivate) _setSelectedNodes:]
1091 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueObserverNotification) didChangeValueForKey:withSetMutation:usingObjects:]
1091 NSKVONotify
1091 -[NSObjectParameterBinder _observeValueForKeyPath:ofObject:context:]
1091 -[NSObjectParameterBinder _updateObject:observedController:observedKeyPath:c ontext:]
1091 -[NSObject(NSKeyValueCoding) setValue:forKey:]
1091 -[SidebarOutlineController setTopSelectedNodes:]
1042 -[OOOutlineRow children]
1041 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _processChildrenChanges]
1041 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _updateChildren]
932 -[OOOutlineRow wasAddedToOutlineView:]
911 -[OOOutlineRow updateDataInOutlineView:]
911 -[OOOutlineRow children]
907 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _processChildrenChanges]
905 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _updateChildren]
345 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _updateInOutlineView:]
301 OOOutlineRowCellsUpdateValues
297 -[OOOutlineRow(Private) _attachValueForColumn:]
143 -[OOLiveTextFieldCell setRepresentedObject:baseStyle:row:column:]
136 -[OOLiveTextFieldCell(PrivateAPI) _setupLocalTextStorageForObject:row:column:baseSty le:]
130 -[OSStyledTextStorage initWithString:baseStyle:]
98 _OSStyledTextStorageCreateTextAttributes
23 -[NSCFDictionary setObject:forKey:]
20 CFDictionarySetValue
14 __CFDictionaryGrow
4 __CFDictionaryFindBuckets2
2 __CFDictionaryFindBuckets2
1 _CFHash
1 _CFHash
1 __CFStringHash
1 __CFStringHash
4 malloc_zone_malloc
3 szone_malloc
2 tiny_malloc_from_free_list
2 tiny_malloc_from_free_list
1 szone_malloc
1 __spin_lock
1 __spin_lock
3 __CFDictionaryGrow
3 szone_free
2 szone_free
1 tiny_free_list_add_ptr
1 tiny_free_list_add_ptr
2 CFRetain
1 -[NSObject retain]
1 __CFDoExternRefOperation
1 CFBagAddValue
1 __CFBagFindBuckets2
1 __CFBagFindBuckets2
1 CFRetain
2 __CFDictionaryFindBuckets2
1 CFEqual
1 CFEqual
1 _CFHash
1 _CFHash
1 CFDictionarySetValue

Thanks -- could you post the ticket number when you get one back?

Og #240271

Last edited by Toadling; 2007-12-04 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: removed brackets for clarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
Is it just my imagination or does the most recent build (rev 95633) feel slow when clicking on projects in the sidebar of Project mode? There seems to be a noticeable delay from the point I release the mouse button to the point at which the content of the project is displayed. This seems to happen even on very small projects with only one or two actions.
Yes, I notice the same thing.

Does this happen if you switch between two empty projects? If not, how large are the projects you are switching between?

Yes. I get a delay of between 0.5 and 1 seconds for empty projects next to each other on the tree. I get a delay of 1.5 - 2 seconds for larger projects separated by a great deal of distance. 3 seconds to display the whole library.

The amount of delay is not always stable. I timed the delays at a different point and sometimes got somewhat shorter or longer delays. Always still noticeable, though.

Also, the delay is worst when I have the action filter set to "All." When it's set to "Next Actions," things are pretty quick.

File sizes: I checked the OmniFocus package size; it was 344 KB before rebuilding, 56 KB after. The delays persisted after a rebuild.

I'm seeing the delay with little noticeable difference on projects ranging from no actions all the way up to 20 or more actions. I'm displaying Remaining actions in Project Mode.

The delay is, perhaps, most noticeable if I select a Project in the sidebar and press and hold the down arrow key. The selection scrolls from one project to the next quit slowly. And it's dramatically slower than selecting an action in the content area and holding the down arrow key, which zips down the list almost instantly.

Strangely, I don't see this delay when scrolling through the list of Contexts in the sidebar of Context Mode. It only seems to happen in Project Mode.