The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

GTD enthusiast confused by Omnifocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi everyone. This is my first post and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I'm not using the Mac version of omnifocus but but I have just bought the ipad and iphone apps. I'm really impressed, fantastic interface and the sync works great. It is definitely the best task management software I have found for iphone/ipad.

But on a general level I'm confused in how to set this software up to work with the GTD methodology. From the GTD flowchart we have 8 options for each piece of 'stuff'. (Trash, Someday, Reference, Next actions, Calender, Waiting, Projects, Project Plans) But I'm struggling to know how to set up those 8 things.

The NEXT ACTIONS folder is very important. I assume that these are represented by the 'Contexts'? I'm surprised they're not given their name of 'Next Actions'?

How do you lot on here choose to set up the REFERENCE folder, the SOMEDAY/MAYBE folder and the WAITING folder???

I've set them up as contexts but now my context list looks like this:

1) Office
2) Home
3) Phone
4) In town
5) In supermarket
6) Waiting on
6) Someday/Maybe
7) Reference

I do feel very confused that software designed specifically for GTD would not have a dedicated section for these 8 folders. These 8 folders are a very important part of GTD and I expected them to be on the left menu amongst the projects, contexts, review etc. But now I have 3 of the 8 important folders listed in the same folder as my next actions. It just doesn't look or feel quite right.

I'm slowly finding ways around the software so that I can set it up to work with GTD but surely I shouldn't have to be looking for creative ways around the software to make it do something its not really intended for? It is apparantly designed for GTD but so far it doesn't feel that way.

I do love the app and I'm sure that I've just missed a few basics here so I'm looking forward to getting some advice. I really appreciate any advice or guidance that any of you can offer me.

Cheers, Jonny