The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OmniWeb 5.7 is weirdly like 1.0 version software. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
OmniWeb 5.7 is weirdly like 1.0 version software. It's buggy, some features are just plain broken and boy do I see that spinning beachball a lot :-( I really regret having paid good money for it. I _REALLY_ regret not having tested it better before buying. Instead I took too much notice of it's positive reviews (which I'm now shaking my head over. Did you TEST OmniWeb at ALL MacWorld? Mac|Life?) and bought OmniWeb almost immediately. Very silly of me - I admit that.

Examples of my troubles: OmniWeb crashes every few hours, permission to use keychain entries are not remembered if another program originally created them, I'm asked if I want to save my passwords for webforms EVERY single time (regardless of whether I say yes or not), OmniWeb gets very slow with large numbers of tabs open (spinning beachball's are starting to invade my dreams - arrrgh!), form autofill of name, address, phone number, etc is very poor (99% of forms had to be completed manually even though their fields were clearly labelled "Phone", "Address", etc), changes to shared bookmarks are not always saved (and my iDisk has a local copy so that should NEVER happen, it's not having to save them across the net. Just to a LOCAL volume!) and no error message is given to warm me there has been a problem.

So I'm back using Camino nighty builds and MUCH happier. Camino might not be as pretty or nice to use - but it WORKS. OmniWeb simply doesn't far too frequently. It's a damn shame :-(

Hmm, I've been trying out OmniWeb 5.7 in my usual abusive fashion (would you believe 307 tabs at the moment, restarting the browser and reloading them causes 40+ MB of traffic to go through my primary interface). I've had a handful of crashes, but they've all been in the WebCore code, so I'm not sure Omni should get all the "credit" for those crashes. I do get the occasional beachball when I tell it to quit (which I usually only do when my machine runs out of disk space), but in most of those cases it resolves itself given a little time. The amount of bugginess or poor behavior I've encountered has been comparable to that on the other browsers I've used. I've been encountering and reporting considerably more bugs against OmniFocus 1.0x, so I don't agree with your claim that it is like version 1.0 software in that (or any other) regard. I'm still in the trial period for OmniWeb, and while I'm having a few problems here and there with the app, whether or not I spend the cash to buy it is going to depend almost entirely on whether or not the feature set grows on me enough that I'm willing to pay to keep it vs. using one of the several free alternatives. So far, it's looking like my preferred pizza vendor is going to sell one fewer pizza to me next month :-)

I trust you ARE sending in the crash reports, feedback on things that don't work but don't cause crashes, etc.? Have you tried the 5.8 sneaky peek to see if any of your issues go away?

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2008-06-28 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: clarification about trial period

I've reported all my troubles, yes. But I was never offered a newer version to try out. Are the keychain and shared bookmark bugs fixed in this 5.8 beta?

Regardless I find good web browsers such as Camino are not this buggy, and the time of having put up with web browsers being unstable and generally crap is well up! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardling View Post
I've reported all my troubles, yes. But I was never offered a newer version to try out. Are the keychain and shared bookmark bugs fixed in this 5.8 beta?

Regardless I find good web browsers such as Camino are not this buggy, and the time of having put up with web browsers being unstable and generally crap is well up! :-)
http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8133 has info on the sneaky peek track for OmniWeb 5.8. I have downloaded it, but not yet tried it, so I cannot comment on whether or not it fixes your issues (which I haven't encountered with 5.7). Even if I had, only you can really definitively answer the question of whether your issues are still present, right?

In any case, it sounds like you have a browser you prefer, and maybe the $15 outlay will save you money in the future, by causing you to look more critically at software recommended by Macworld, et al before plunking down the hard-earned cash :-)

The release notes for 5.8 SP series says:
"Saving a password to the keychain may not work"

And, that's the main reason I'm staying with Safari+Safaristand for now.

Is Camino that good now? Is it using the latest Gecko engine (the one in FF 3.0)?

Payam

Quote:

G'day philonous. I've found the Camino nightlies to be rock solid compared to FF2 (can't comment much on FF3 yet), OmniWeb and Safari. I'm unsure as to exactly which version of Gecko the very latest Camino nightly builds are using, but I rarely encounter rendering errors.

Another option that's worth checking out IMO are the webkit nightlies. I've been impressed by their stability and javascript rendering speed.

Last edited by Wizardling; 2008-06-29 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: formatting error

Pholonius - I'm sorry for the trouble you're having with OmniWeb - if you get in touch with the support ninjas, we can see if we can figure out what's going on here. With all that going on, being upset is certainly understandable! The number of hangs you're having is definitely out of the ordinary; the other issues, I should defer to the ninjas on - they know the lay of the land in re: OmniWeb better than I do.

If we can't get this straightened out, or if you're past the point of no return, we can also get you a refund, of course. If you're not happy with your purchase, we want to make that right.

Quote:
OmniWeb 5.7 is weirdly like 1.0 version software. It's buggy, some features are just plain broken and boy do I see that spinning beachball a lot :-( I really regret having paid good money for it. I _REALLY_ regret not having tested it better before buying. Instead I took too much notice of it's positive reviews (which I'm now shaking my head over. Did you TEST OmniWeb at ALL MacWorld? Mac|Life?) and bought OmniWeb almost immediately. Very silly of me - I admit that.

Examples of my troubles: OmniWeb crashes every few hours, permission to use keychain entries are not remembered if another program originally created them, I'm asked if I want to save my passwords for webforms EVERY single time (regardless of whether I say yes or not), OmniWeb gets very slow with large numbers of tabs open (spinning beachball's are starting to invade my dreams - arrrgh!), form autofill of name, address, phone number, etc is very poor (99% of forms had to be completed manually even though their fields were clearly labelled "Phone", "Address", etc), changes to shared bookmarks are not always saved (and my iDisk has a local copy so that should NEVER happen, it's not having to save them across the net. Just to a LOCAL volume!) and no error message is given to warm me there has been a problem.

So I'm back using Camino nighty builds and MUCH happier. Camino might not be as pretty or nice to use - but it WORKS. OmniWeb simply doesn't far too frequently. It's a damn shame :-(
Dude, don't use a Hackintosh you bought at Costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiec View Post
Dude, don't use a Hackintosh you bought at Costco.
It would be appreciated by and benefit everyone here on the forums if we try to keep responses constructive. We want these forums to be a place for all users to feel comfortable asking questions or providing their views and this sort of response doesn't work towards that.

Last edited by troyb; 2008-06-30 at 10:41 AM..

You're not the only one, OmniWeb crashes just about every time I try it, going back many versions. I don't know why that seems to be a minority experience, and there's nothing wrong with my MacBook. I'm afraid I've given up on it for the time being, I've found all of the major browsers to be much more stable.