The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Importing OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) files Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilajn View Post
Hi, I can't unzip this file. "Fehler 1 - der Vorgang ist nicht zugelassen." which means something like: Error 1 - this action is not allowed.
I have refreshed the file. (If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-02-27 at 01:30 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I have refreshed the file. (If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).
Extracts and runs here, at least. Interesting that the old zip file was 1 MB and the new one not even 1/10 of that!

Quote:
(If there still seems to be a difficulty I will put it somewhere else).

--
No poblem: It extracts, now. Thank you.

Hello,

I'm back because things didn't improve. Another application on my phone may cause the problems with the messed up linkIds.

I tried OPML2OF on a document without links and linkIds. It still ends up in the former mentioned errors. I wonder wether it might be a problem that I didn't buy Omnifocus directly at Omni but in the App-Store (yes, it is the OS X application, I didn't install an iPhone/Pod/Pad version).

For testing I attach an example OPML file that doesn't contain linkIds.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Example English (original).opml.zip (1.1 KB, 195 views)

You might be right about that Rob's script had some instances where it referred to app id com.omnigroup.OmniFocus and that isn't correct if you have the OmniFocus from the App Store.

I made a version of the script that uses the other form of address. You can download it and try it out to see if it works any better: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/971671/OPML2OF.zip

Let us know if that makes it work or not.

As a postscript, I have now amended the file to ver 0.6 which uses the form:

Code:
tell application id "OFOC" -- OmniFocus
which should, I think, be compatible with Appstore-purchased and directly-purchased versions of OmniFocus, and perhaps even (touches wood) OmniFocus 2, when it comes ...

If Omni are using variant bundle-identifiers for all their AppStore versions, then there may be quite a lot of these edits to make. Apple was arguing when OS X 10.5 was released that the switch to the id + bundle identifier form would be a good idea because developers were less likely to change the bundle name than the application name. This seemed to make sense:
Code:
tell application "OmniGraffle Professional 5"
for example, did look as if it might have a shorter shelf-life than:
Code:
tell application id "com.omnigroup.OmniGrafflePro"
but 天有不测风云 (something like: 'the extreme sensitivity of non-linear systems to initial conditions makes them hard to model and predict' or just 'winds and clouds are hard to fathom' - though Google Translate offers a more extreme summary) and in retrospect it might have been more prudent to retreat to:
Code:
tell application id "OGfl" -- OmniGraffle
tell application id "OFOC" -- OmniFocus
tell application id "OOut" -- OmniOutliner
tell application id "OPla" -- OmniPlan
etc, but this seemed a bit illegible at the time ...

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-07-17 at 08:01 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post

Let us know if that makes it work or not.
Hooray! It works - unless the umlauts didn't import correctly. The source OPML file is in UTF-8 and e.g. TextEdit shows the umlauts correctly. I didn't find an option within OmniFocus to make it aware of UTF-8. May be I can use some text editor to work around this. But the less steps to perform the better it is. Is there a possibility to get the umlauts directly into OF?

It's the same with Rob's script OPML2OF ver 0.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilajn View Post
Hooray! It works - unless the umlauts didn't import correctly. The source OPML file is in UTF-8
Does the header of the OPML file specify UTF-8 ?

If not, it might be worth experimenting, in the script file, with changing the parse XML line, adding encoding "UTF-8" at the end.

Quote:
Does the header of the OPML file specify UTF-8 ?
Is this first line of the file correct?

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
With this line I don't get umlauts :-(