The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

privacy Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I will be keeping my OF on a family computer that gets used by kids and others. Short of setting up user accounts (I'd like to avoid) is there anything I can do to keep others out of my OF?

You could probably use Disk Utility to create a sparse disk image with encryption enabled and then tell OmniFocus to move your document inside it. Then, if you either set your Keychain to lock automatically or don't enter the disk image's password into the Keychain, only you would be able to view the current OmniFocus data.

I've not tested this case; I wouldn't consider it supported, but I don't know of anything I would expect to break.

One extra issue is that the automatic backups would still reside outside the disk image. You could set those to be placed in the disk image too, but then you are treading on very thin ice. If the disk image gets corrupted or you forget the password, your data will be totally gone.

In general, this is a pretty hard problem and one that we'd almost certainly not get 100% right. Security is _hard_ so we're focusing our efforts on our software instead. Mac OS X makes setting up and switching between multiple accounts very easy. For home machines, I'd recommend using multiple accounts while for laptops I'd recommend using File Vault (in case of theft) with frequent backups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Mac OS X makes setting up and switching between multiple accounts very easy. For home machines, I'd recommend using multiple accounts...
I just wanted to echo this advice, and point out that it's very easy to switch between accounts with Fast User Switching and never have to log out any of the accounts. (And you don't have to worry about any family members changing any of your preferences in any other apps, either!)

You can enable fast user switching in System Preferences, under the Login Options section of the Accounts pane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas42 View Post
Short of setting up user accounts (I'd like to avoid) is there anything I can do to keep others out of my OF?
I find that a user account for children works pretty well.

Certainly the simplest of the solutions at hand ...