The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Please be kind to us "planning mode" Junkies Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I Achieve my goals in the planning mode rather than the context mode

Some days I work wholly in the planning mode to "plan" and also to "get things done". I mentioned this before on another posting and I think it struck a few people as being odd.

I am trying to learn a completely new application (omnifocus) and a completely new way of working (GTD) and I have only read a fraction of the book (I am slowly reading more as i go along). So please be patient If i'm Not using the program correctly.

I'm suddenly starting to think that I must be the only one who Gets things done in the planning mode.

But I like to work with "next action" in the planning mode.

Is there anything wrong with that?

I think it's a lot to do with coming from a Non GTD approach.
When I stumbled accross omnifocus I was looking for an electronic system for my task management (Not a GTD app). So the context idea is coming slowly to me.

I'm in a sort of "comfort zone" in the planning mode. But when i analyzed it a bit more i think that there's more to it for me.

Example:
Today I wanted to focus on "omnifocus housekeeping (4 hours work as I revamp my new methods)", "banking Jobs" and "presentation for monday".

I multi-select the 3 projects in the planning mode, i then clicked on "next action" and did job after job after job.

Switching to context mode seemed pointless as the sole context is my computer.

Compare this to:
switch to context mode "next action", then i get a cluttered list of lots of other projects that i'm not interested in. What's the point?

Tomorrow may require a switch to the context mode?yes, I am context user as well sometimes.

Please tell me what I'm Not getting? I know It must be something