The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 3 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I Disable Auto Save? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How can I disable the auto save. I have a large book with a lot of graphics and it takes a long time to save. Thus, auto save is a real nuisance.

Thanks!

Open the OmniOutliner preferences. In the General section, there's a checkbox for controlling automatic saving of document backups — you can change how many minutes it goes between auto-saves, or disable it entirely.

My 'Preferences-->General' section only has a button to 'Edit New Document Template' and a checkbox to 'Automatically create attachments from typed URLs'

I am running OmniOutliner Pro v 3.10.2 (v143.66)

Thanks!

What version of Mac OS X are you running? I'm running that same version in Snow Leopard, perhaps the option has been removed when running under Lion. You can use Help->Send Feedback to send a query to Omni support about whether there is any way to control the auto-save behavior under Lion.

On Lion, OmniOutliner uses the OS's autosave support and has none of the configurability that it has in Snow Leopard.

Unfortunately, there's no way to disable autosave in OmniOutliner on Lion. I sent email to their support team, and got this response:

Quote:
Thanks for your email. Hmm, this is a tricky one, as the Autosave feature is one of the primary additions to Lion, and Apple has made it difficult to change the behavior. There is not a way to do this via OmniOutliner, but I found a discussion with some instructions that might help out in general.

[link elided]

We had to make many changes to accommodate the autosave feature in our apps, including taking out the options to manually save. Perhaps in subsequent releases of the OS, Apple will allow us to offer some alternative options.I apologize for any inconvenience- several folks have written to us to let us know that they have sent feedback directly to Apple about autosave issues, so that might be worth a thought!
(I removed the link because it wasn't actually helpful, and because this forum doesn't let you put links in your first post.)

How long does it take to auto-save your document? And does it prevent you from working while auto-save is taking place?