The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > General > Forums Feedback
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Omni's anti-spam CAPTCHA robust enough ? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just saw this article in the Economist about a trend towards automated breaching of CAPTCHA tests, and wondered whether Omni's are robust enough.

The amount of spam, some of it a bit unpleasant (an example from yesterday remains undeleted in the OmniGraffle forum as I write) seems to be increasing ...

--

It's not difficult to get passed CAPTCHA's with an automated service. If the CAPTCHA is too difficult then it just refreshes and asks for a new one. I at times have problems reading those, especially with caps/ lower case.

If the intention is to keep SPAM bots out then the best solution is to have a questionnaire during the sign up process. There isn't an automated service that can get passed this as of yet.

Have you ever seen those ads on the sides of web pages that say "This housewife earns $5000/week working from home."

I wonder if some of those jobs are answering captchas for spambots?

There are ways to make sure that spammers are there or not. One is a question answer plugin for posts, meaning 1+1= or something like that, that has to have a human behind it.

The spam here is getting real bad lately.

The other one is to give some members (trusted) privileges to
move or delete spam messages. This will allow the regular trusted forum helpers to help keep the forum spam free as they read.