The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trial License on 2 machines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've installed omnigraffle on notebook and it is working fine. I've also installed on iMac and it gives me 'This application is not licensed or too many users are using the application". If I select use unlicensed it puts it into Read Only mode.

I am in the process of switching from MS Windows stuff and are evaluating:
Outliner
OmniPlan
OmniGraffle

Omniplan works on both. Why would Omnigraffle give a license problem.

Do I need separate licenses for my Notebook and IMac. Your license agreement seems to indicate a single user can use it on many machines.

I already check the discount pricing if I buy all three (10% across the board) and an option for coupons. Who gets coupons?

How long ago did you first use OmniGraffle on this machine? There's a 14 day trial period, after which you'll need to talk to Omni. The "too many users" doesn't apply to your demo case -- the case it is referring to is not getting a license because all of the license keys available on a machine have already been handed out, but that is effectively the same as not having one in the first place, such as only having an expired demo.

This past year, visitors to Omni's booth at Macworld could get a card with a coupon code for a one-time discount on software purchases. Wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that they had done something similar at other times. There's an educational discount, too, if you qualify.

Your understanding of the license terms is the same as mine. One user, many computers, or one computer, many users.

I am rather sure I've never used it on this iMac. Recently reinstalled everything for Snow Leopard.

I first installed the download on my notebook, then used the same download on my iMac and got the message. The one on the notebook still have like 3 or 4 days remaining. I am just worried that the license if I buy one would create a situation that it only works on the one.

I use Sketchup and that actually checks, when you are online, that only one user actively uses it. Need to quit on one machine.

Thanks for the response though.

I have one licence working on two machines, but I can only have one of them running at the time. I think your problem is that you have set the licence on your notebook for "computer" rather than "user" or some such. That means the software is valid for any user of the notebook, but not valid for you the owner to use it on a second machine. You need to delete the licence on the notebook and re-install it with the same code, but making sure you choose the right option to allow you to use it on the iMac, as long as you don't try to have it running on the notebook at the same time.

Brandtjc, do you get the error on the iMac even if the program isn't running on the other machine? That would be my expectation. It doesn't make sense that the demo license system wouldn't allow two demo copies on the network at once, but I could be wrong. In any case, I would shoot off an email to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com if Joel doesn't respond here on the forum in the next few hours.

If I remember correctly, an app in trial mode just doesn't have a license installed at all, which would make that error message a little surprising. (If the original trial period has run out and we've sent a trial license extension, that could cause the specific error message you're getting, though.)

Best thing to do is probably to contact the support ninjas so we can gather some information and get this straightened out. Sorry for the trouble this is causing!

A quick test (installing OG on a machine without a license, running it, then setting the clock ahead 15 days and trying it again) elicits the error message reported by the original poster. I suspect OG might have gotten a tryout in the forgotten past.