The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Relocating OmniFocus Database File Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey, I've seen various posts mention being able to relocate your OmniFocus database file to a different location on your computer (or usb memory stick, etc). Maybe I'm blind but I keep looking through the preferences and menus and I don't see any place to do this.

I'm trying to do this because WebDAV is blocked at work, and I already have SugarSync for all my file syncing needs and really don't want to pay $100/year to essentially sync this one data file. Unfortunately it seems that the database file needs to be relocated into my Documents folder in order to sync correctly.

With OmniFocus 1.5, you no longer can move the location of your primary database. However, you can control where the synchronization copy is stored, and that's what you probably want here. To have it sync to a disk location, go to the preferences, select the Sync tab, select the disk icon, and choose the place where you want it to go (USB drive, fileserver volume, etc.) I don't have any familiarity with SugarSync, but I suspect all you need to do is make a directory to store your sync copy, do a sync, and have SugarSync add that directory to the list of stuff it keeps synchronized between your machines. If whatever SugarSync does is identical in effect to using a portable drive, you should be okay.

Cool. I did the Disk sync mode and my home and work computers sync up nicely. However, it seems that I can no longer sync to my iPhone when in Disk mode which I could when I had it set to Bonjour. Am I missing something here? Can't I sync across my computers using Disk mode but also have it sync the synchronization copy to my iPhone using Bonjour when it's in my home network?

Sorry, you didn't mention that you are also syncing with an iPhone. Unfortunately, you only get to choose one sync method. If you were very careful, you could possibly get away with switching back and forth, but you always have to make sure everything is synced up before you switch methods or you'll risk losing some changes. So, you could use SugarSync to sync the work machine and the home machine, and the home machine you would flip back and forth between sync to disk (to collect/send changes to/from the work machine) and sync via Bonjour (to sync with the iPhone). You probably would not want to make changes on the iPhone if there are changes from the work machine that haven't yet been synced back to the home machine, which could greatly diminish the usefulness of this setup.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried switching back and forth between disk sync and Bonjour sync, only between disk sync and webDAV sync. I make no promise that this will work for you, or that it is even a good idea to try. Might be easier to just use the iPhone at work!

So for some reason, I opened up OmniFocus at work and it connected perfectly to the WebDAV server. I have no idea what changed, maybe someone changed a setting over the weekend or something, but all three devices are syncing perfectly through WebDAV. Sweet! Hopefully whatever changed sticks around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
With OmniFocus 1.5, you no longer can move the location of your primary database. However, you can control where the synchronization copy is stored, and that's what you probably want here. To have it sync to a disk location, go to the preferences, select the Sync tab, select the disk icon, and choose the place where you want it to go (USB drive, fileserver volume, etc.) I don't have any familiarity with SugarSync, but I suspect all you need to do is make a directory to store your sync copy, do a sync, and have SugarSync add that directory to the list of stuff it keeps synchronized between your machines. If whatever SugarSync does is identical in effect to using a portable drive, you should be okay.
Is it at all possible to do this with symbolic linking? I've had success doing this with other apps, but can't seem to get it to work for OmniFocus, I get the following error:

Expected a directory at “file://localhost/Users/dr1/Library/Application%20Support/OmniFocus/OmniFocus.ofocus/” but got a flat file.

Perhaps if you try linking the OmniFocus directory instead of the OmniFocus.ofocus file. That would actually be more convenient, I think, as you'd get your perspectives, themes, etc. hauled along for free. I have not tried this, however.

Hi, I've tried doing a search on using "sugarsync" to sync the OF database but came to this conclusion. Please tell me if I am correct.

We can use SugarSync to sync the OF database across, say, an iMac and the MacBook Pro. But that doesn't sync with the iPhone, unless we are on the same network, meaning if I make some changes on my iPhone, I can only sync it once I am on the same network (wifi i suppose).

Recently I read on TUAW (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/25/mac-1...icid=px-iphone) that we can create a wireless network between a mac and the iphone.

But I figured that unless the MacBook Pro or the iMac is on, the changes made on the iPhone will still not get sync-ed with either machines?

Hence, it appears to me that only through a MobileMe account will this work seamlessly. Am I right?

Thank you for your help in advance as I am on a trial version of MM and am wondering if I can junk MM for sugarsync as the iDisk has been giving me some issues of late with the upgrade to SL.

You don't want to fool around with any other sync solution other than the code in OmniFocus. SugarSync, DropBox, MobileMe's file sync, etc. don't understand the workings of the OmniFocus database file (actually, a whole directory full of files) and will screw up your database sooner or later. If you don't want to pay for a MobileMe subscription, sign up for one of the free WebDAV providers (SwissDisk is the one I've tried, but there's a thread here on the forum, probably in the Syncing section, that lists a number of options people have gotten working). Or if all of your desktop machines are on the same network, and one of them can always be on (and running OmniFocus) when a sync is done, you can use the Bonjour sync method built in to OmniFocus.