The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus PC Desktop? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm completely in this situation. I'm actually considering buying a mac notebook just to take to work with me and sit next to my powerful PC. When I think about that, it seems quite ludicrous.

Please consider at least a web interface very soon. I'm trying to integrate some kind of organization into my everday life, and this is a huge gap in what would be a complete circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I'm completely in this situation. I'm actually considering buying a mac notebook just to take to work with me and sit next to my powerful PC. When I think about that, it seems quite ludicrous.
It does seem quite ludicrous. Why would you want to keep using the PC? :p

More seriously, the web interface ran on the Mac, and required that you have the OmniFocus application running. A lightweight PC app that simply did the equivalent of the Quick Entry window and wrote the results to the WebDAV server might be a decent bone to throw to those stuck with a PC, but it would be crazy to make plans based on Omni delivering a PC app anytime soon, I think.

An iPhone would be far cheaper than a laptop and give you a similar capability -- granted, the iPhone version isn't the full feature set, but gives you both data entry and review possibilities.

I have the iPhone app generally open throughout the day, but dislike trying to use it for data capture -- so I also have an email open that I just append new items to as they come up, and email it to the Omnifocus email-in processor at the end of the day. I don't get to see those items integrated into the overall view until I sync up from the Mac in the evening, but generally I'm only adding 3-6 items a day, so that's not too big a limitation for me.

I actually have the iPhone app already. That's what got me started on all of this.

My problem with using the iPhone app is that it's just too slow. Data capture, like you said, is one thing, but being able to browse the full scope of the tasks by waiting for each menu to cascade in and out just doesn't work. Don't get me wrong, I love having it for quick glances at short lists, but I'm looking for something more.

My solution so far has been remote control of the Macbook from my desk.
New tasks are created in outlook and then toodledo outlook sync to toodledo, then I use the toodledo sync for omnifocus. This way I get the tasks to and from the mac in one of two ways either with VNC on the PC or a quick one in outlook then VNC to macbook to organise.

I agree, I find that very unlikely to happen.

[QUOTE=jkolhi;46371]What about the web interface that someone developed?
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...s-Web-UI.shtml[QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I believe that web interface you linked to is the one we originally created. There were issues that led us to dropping it, though we made it available for others to maintain if they wished to. No, no current plans for adding a web interface directly in OmniFocus.
This was the type of thing that was keeping me from buying the desktop app. I can't wait to go home and give it a shot.

Does anyone know of anyone that is maintaining a updated version?

There should be considered either a Windows widget or plug-in for safari or web mobileme. Hard to really type in information on an iPhone. I ordered this product when I misread the definition on the app site that you could synch with mobileme. I guess I was in a hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by findatoz View Post
There should be considered either a Windows widget or plug-in for safari or web mobileme. Hard to really type in information on an iPhone. I ordered this product when I misread the definition on the app site that you could synch with mobileme. I guess I was in a hurry.
Omni has a generous refund policy. See their site or search the main OmniFocus forum for "refund".

Curt

Andrew ... would it be possible for OmniGroup to work with a Windows developer like Chapura or DataViz to create a translation program? Maybe even work with Apple...after all they did create a PC version of Itunes, and that's what drives the iPhone link to a PC.

I love the program's capability, but it is a pain in the neck to use on an iPhone.

Thanks