The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

A vote against the "library" Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I really didn't have a problem with the "Projects" name. Yes, I suppose that a pedantic definition of singletons doesn't really count as a project, but I always thought of my (one and only) Singleton bucket as kind of an "other" or "miscellaneous" project. Seems like splitting hairs when the real changes in the Planning view need to be made in the inbox (but I've ranted about that long enough already).

I'm quite happy with the library tag as to me that simply relates to an organised collection of 'stuff', whether that be projects or single tasks.

Personally though, I'd like to see the Inbox taken out of that tab and made into a separate button of it's own.

In GTD your inbox is a step in it's own right, and Projects are only relevant AFTER processing your inbox so putting it within projects/library doesn't make sense (to me).

Personally I think if you made a group of three buttons, Inbox - Projects(Library) - Contexts, that would make a lot more sense.

Rik:

That idea has been kicked around before, but the problem there shows up when doing reviews or just going through that actual tasks of project planning & inbox processing.

The way OF is set up now, you can view the inbox and your projects without switching back and forth between different interface panes. So as I process the items in my inbox to various projects and contexts, I can easily (and quickly) flip back and forth between my source (the inbox) and my destination (the projects). Putting the inbox in a separate interface pane just puts it one more step away from the projects and the other aspects of processing/planning my action list.

The project view in OF is really implemented more as an overall planning & review view. Semantically, it blurs the distinctions between the nouns of GTD (Inbox and Project List), but from the perpective of actual workflow it nicely groups together the verbs or the activities of GTD that are most commonly performed together at the same time. I kind of like that grouping the way it is. I only wish the inbox would be expanded in functionality a little bit to solve the problems related to context-less actions (discussed at length in several other threads).

I think the "killer app" of the combined Inbox and Stuff view will be spring-loaded folders and projects. Then I can grab an action from the inbox, drag it onto a project in the sidebar, have that project appear in the right-hand pane, and drag the item to its destination. On the way every collapsed item that I hovered over would pop open.

I think this would be a very slick way to move actions from my Inbox to the right place in within a project. It would collapse a two-step process (assign project to item, process project to put item in correct place) into a single step.

Curt

I've never understood the need for "singleton actions". My "single action" "Check water softener level" should appear (in my mind) at the same level as my "project" "Clean air ducts" (with three or four actions).

If I'm about to do my "single action" "check water softener level" and I realize that needs multiple steps, i should be able to just add actions to it, automatically changing my "single action" into a "project".

I dont understand why this isn't the case. I'm sure it was discussed somewhere here on the boards. Any pointers to explanations are appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I think this would be a very slick way to move actions from my Inbox to the right place in within a project. It would collapse a two-step process (assign project to item, process project to put item in correct place) into a single step.
Great idea! And you said (in another thread) that you were punchy?

OT: Does Rose-Hulman still send the Tinkertoys brochure to prospective applicants?

+1 for the not-so-psyched-about "Library".

Even though "Library" fits with the OS X guidelines (as in iPhoto, iTunes, etc), it is not appropriate here. The word itself implies a place to store/retrieve reference material. Yes, that has its place in the GTD methodology, but not for the projects.

But there is an easy way around this: just let us rename it as we can any other line in the left-hand pane (like project names or contexts): a quick double-click and we can change it to whatever we like! Then everyone will be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
My "single action" "Check water softener level" should appear (in my mind) at the same level as my "project" "Clean air ducts" (with three or four actions).
At the same level? That means not in a context list and with no handy-dandy checkbox to mark it complete and clear it from view. How would you ever know to do it?

I can see what it's easier to make it a project when it's at the same level, but that (to me) a minor processing stage. More important is knowing at a glance what I need to be doing now, and am able to do, given available contexts.

There is a very clear distinction to me between things that are doable ("Check water softener level") and things that are not ("Finish thesis"). Projects are not immediately doable, but are made up of actions that are. I like project names being descriptive of the state I'm trying to achieved ("Thesis submitted"). Then when reviewing, I can think about what I need to do next to achieve that. This applies less to simpler projects like "Clean air ducts", of course, which feel more like extended actions and probably don't need further planning. But they still aren't the part that is doable, unlike singletons.

The only reason I like having the Inbox near the Stuff is that I can drag new tasks to their projects. Spring loading would be a nice enhancement. Otherwise, I'd just as soon not have "Library" or "Projects" or whatever you call it as a heading for a list that has only one header. "Library" is not collapsable so it's not even functional and if Inbox were not in that space then a header would not be necessary.

One solution might be to have the inbox appear as a third pane above both the left Projects list and the right Task list. It's appearance could be toggled by a toolbar icon with a badge showing the number of Inbox items. Maybe it could even appear over the Contexts/Task panes in the Context view for those that like to work that way.

Well,

what is all that fuzz about? In the beginning there was the only " line " between the Inbox and the projects or projects group. Then at the first day of creation Omni created the Projects folder because the line was too difficult to under stand for some. This took more space in the interface, but the function is still the same. Click it and get all your projects displayed in one long list.

I personally like the Line a lot. For me an Inbox, the Singletons and the line would be great.

But may be Omni is planning on something else before the last day of creation, that would perfectly fit in a Library? May be .... project models/templates, references/links (showing all your links in a sort of smart folder, smart folders - yes that would be great.

Cheers

Mario