The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How can I secure my OmniFocus data? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Wouldn't one also want to arrange for the contents of ~/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus to be securely stored?
Yes. Also ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.

(And if you're syncing with iCal, you'd need to consider where iCal stores its data, too—as CatOne suggested, turning on FileVault is probably the easiest solution.)

I would appreciate it if one of the Omni guys could lay out where OF's files are stored and what is the best way to "move" them (i.e. do a symlink or otherwise).

This way those of us who want an extra layer of security can put the OF database in a password-protected disk image, encrypted filesystem (MacFUSE with EncFS works wonders), etc.

I know that FileVault is an option, but frankly I wouldn't be able to get a single night of sleep if I got back to using it again. I have been bitten by it once and simply cannot trust it anymore.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by vano View Post
I would appreciate it if one of the Omni guys could lay out where OF's files are stored and what is the best way to "move" them (i.e. do a symlink or otherwise).

This way those of us who want an extra layer of security can put the OF database in a password-protected disk image, encrypted filesystem (MacFUSE with EncFS works wonders), etc.

I know that FileVault is an option, but frankly I wouldn't be able to get a single night of sleep if I got back to using it again. I have been bitten by it once and simply cannot trust it anymore.

Thanks again
You do know, of course, that FileVault uses encrypted disk images for encryption. The very same type of encrypted disk images that you would be creating and symlinking to :)

CatOne, while that is true it is far easier to regularly back up a relatively small disk image of a few MB than it is a multi-GB filevault sparseimage - recovery is a little bit easier that way, should anything go wrong. ;)

vano, assuming you are using the default settings, your OmniFocus files are going to be in:

1. ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
2. ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist
3. Wherever your Backup location is set in the OmniFocus>Data preferences (I think I changed mine to ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups so I can't say what the default is for that - you could make that a folder on an encrypted disk image very easily, so long as you have it open before launching OmniFocus).
4. If you are synching to a WebDAV server, wherever the database is located in the OmniFocus>Sync preferences.

Fwiw, for anyone who doesn't know it already, you can have encrypted disk images open automatically upon log-in by adding them to the list of Login Items in your account under System Preferences>Accounts.

JKT, there are also some cache files that need to be secured (see Ken's response to my post a few up in the thread). You need to encrypt your virtual memory, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
vano, assuming you are using the default settings, your OmniFocus files are going to be in:

1. ~/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus
2. ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus.plist
3. Wherever your Backup location is set in the OmniFocus>Data preferences (I think I changed mine to ~/Documents/OmniFocus Backups so I can't say what the default is for that - you could make that a folder on an encrypted disk image very easily, so long as you have it open before launching OmniFocus).
4. If you are synching to a WebDAV server, wherever the database is located in the OmniFocus>Sync preferences.
Thanks for the info, so I guess the idea is to symlink (in the case of 1 for example, it would be symlinking the whole OmniFocus dir to the encrypted fs) correct? I guess there is no better way, right?

Regarding FileVault, the problem is that if it gets corrupted (and it does get corrupted when you run low on disk space, when going into standby goes wrong or etc.) you are pretty much out of luck. It has bitten me twice already. Also if it matters, FileVault uses sparse bundles, which is not the same as a disk image.

Anyhow I am interested in putting this inside an encrypted filesystem (MacFUSE with EncFS).

Quote:
Also if it matters, FileVault uses sparse bundles, which is not the same as a disk image.
Actually, sparse bundles are a type of disk image. And, as with other types of image formats, sparse bundle disk images can be created with Apple's Disk Utility. All my read/write disk images are sparse bundles these days.

-Dennis

Quote:
Thanks for the info, so I guess the idea is to symlink (in the case of 1 for example, it would be symlinking the whole OmniFocus dir to the encrypted fs) correct? I guess there is no better way, right?

Regarding FileVault, the problem is that if it gets corrupted (and it does get corrupted when you run low on disk space, when going into standby goes wrong or etc.) you are pretty much out of luck. It has bitten me twice already. Also if it matters, FileVault uses sparse bundles, which is not the same as a disk image.

Anyhow I am interested in putting this inside an encrypted filesystem (MacFUSE with EncFS).
You've had recent corruption issues with FileVault? I really know of few, if any, with 10.5. 10.5 uses Sparse Bundles, which are much more resilient than Sparse Images. Also, in the cases where I _have_ seen corruption (with Sparse Images and 10.4), DiskWarrior was able to repair them (thankfully).

Note a SparseBundle _is_ a disk image. It is one type of image.

The disadvantage of alternative file systems shimmed in via MacFUSE is that MacFUSE is a kernel extension, and there's no knowing whether it will work across OS upgrades. I'm sure, given time and testing, it will, but I don't personally like that kind of shim as they tend to delay my OS adoption curve, and I'm a bleeding edger :)

And if disk images doesn't quite do it for ya, there's always partial encryption of the content. I found myself in a situation where I only wanted partial encryption of data in OmniFocus so I implemented an AppleScript solution.

If it's of any use to you, you're welcome to use it.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...172#post102172

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniinmo View Post
And if disk images doesn't quite do it for ya, there's always partial encryption of the content. I found myself in a situation where I only wanted partial encryption of data in OmniFocus so I implemented an AppleScript solution.

If it's of any use to you, you're welcome to use it.

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthre...172#post102172
Hmmm… with OS X Lion having full disk encryption as standard functionality, I'd posit that's a much better way to go, now that you've revived a thread that's been dead for 2 years ;-)